Thread: Programs with weird names reset ZA Pro program permissions

radargunn Guest

Default Programs with weird names reset ZA Pro program permissions

There are two programs that show up in my ZA Pro programs list that apparently are hiding form the operating system. One is apparently named "..." and the other has a name comprised of two non-ascii characters. When I try to check the properties list, I get a message that I have not entered the program name correctly.
    Each of these programs apparently resets its permissions by itself, though not immediately. I set all their permissions to "kill," but sometimes when I look again, the permissions
    have changed.
    I have run Sybot, Spyware Doctor, Adaware, X-Soft Spy, Norton, Ewido, and other virus and malware detectors, but they have not turned up these programs.
    What can I do?
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Ray

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Programs with weird names reset ZA Pro program permissions

Have you tried going to your Zone Alarm Program control, right clicking on these two entries, then click to 'remove' them? If not, try that and see if they come back. I'm guessing they are not evil but something showing up in a corrupt fashion in your database.

radargunn Guest

Default Re: Programs with weird names reset ZA Pro program permissions

Hi, Bill,

Yes, I've removed these programs from the Active Programs list a number of times, but they keep coming back, which indicated to me that they are indeed active programs. I keep their permissions set to Kill, but the setting sometimes chane without my changing them. I removed them both yesterday, and the one that appears to be named "..." (without quotes) was back on the list today, with its Trust Level set to Super and all its permissions set to Allow.

Thanks for any help you can give. I've run CCleaner, Adaware, Spybot S&D, XoftSpy, and Spyware Doctor. I cannot get the Panda program to download (perhaps they have ceased offeroing it free).

Ray

Thread Information