Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Set Spyware Scan To Scan All Files

tygerstar Guest

Default Can't Set Spyware Scan To Scan All Files

Hi, I recently had a trojan in my pc and had to format and reinstall windows. Using windows me with Zone Alarm Pro, after I downloaded and installed the current Zone Alarm Pro program update, I went to download the spyware scan definitions. It gave me an error message, said it couldn't update and that it was an undefined error. Next day, it updated no problems. But I cannot set it to scan all files. Every time I set it, and then check it to see if it's set, it's back to quick scan. I'm concerned that the virus isn't gone. I think it was something new because only Zone Alarm Pro found it when I first had it. It skipped right past my antivirus program. Any ideas? Oh, Zone Alarm Pro identified the thing originally as W32.Trojan.Dialer.hz. Thanks for any help. If this is a program glitch in windows me, please let me know because I'm worried the virus isn't gone with the format. Thanks. Best Wishes, TygerStar

Operating System:Windows ME
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: Can't Set Spyware Scan To Scan All Files

Hi TygerStar! If you supect there is still a trojan, try Trojan Hunter ( ME functional and very good) as well as SpywareDoctor, SpySweeper, SpyBot S&D and PestPatrol (all will work on ME as well). Chances of a trojan surviving a format is small, but reinstalling infected software into the new format could be the source of a new infection. The options setting should have been set to the "deep scan" since the default setting for the scan is actually the "quick" scan. If this does not help please follow up this post. Oldsod ZA Pro 6.1.744.001 user
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tygerstar Guest

Hi, I haven't reinstalled any old programs. The program cds would not have been effected by the trojan anyway. It only got on the cd with my backed up personal files, which have not been put back into the computer. This really doesn't help because it won't set to deep scan either. Neither the deep scan or the scan all files options will work. It just diverts to quick scan again. Is this a program glitch or something else? With windows me, I suppose it could be a glitch. My laptop had windows xp service pack 2 in it, but I have not been able to finish reinstalling it yet, since I don't have a windows xp disk sigh (long story don't ask). When I formatted the desktop, I first used debug to debug it, then used fdisk to fix the master boot record (rewrite it), then partitioned (after deleting the old partition) and formatted it and reinstalled windows. Hopefully, this got rid of the trojan. Please let me know what else to do if this is not a program glitch. Thanks. Best Wishes, Kitty aka TygerStar

Message Edited by TygerStar on 04-09-200601:20 PM

Hi Kitty aka TygerStar! Maybe this will work. Enter the Safe Mode and delete the iamb and the backup files in the Internet Logs in the Windows Directory. Check the Temp Folder as well for any ZA files (delete these as well) Clean the disk or cache and reboot. Hopefully this will clean any corrupt files and make the ZA start from a clean slate. Formating, partitioning and reinstall will kill about anything, however there are disk erasers available and free to put on CD and it will after many, many hours, completely wipe the hard drive spotless. Oldsod aka oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tygerstar Guest

Thanks, I will try that. But what is iamb??? I'm not good with abbreviations. Thanks. By the way, is it possible that other antispyware programs I'm running may also be in conflict with Zone Alarm Pro's antispyware? I also use Spybot Search and Destroy and IESpyads and I have noticed that those two are in conflict with each other, according to information at the Spybot S&D forum. Could this also be effecting Zone Alarm Pro? If so, what needs to be fixed with that? Thanks again. Best Wishes, Kitty

Message Edited by TygerStar on 04-11-200609:08 AM

Kitty There should be no conflict with ZA Antispy and other antispywares. Just open Windows go to Internet Logs and open it to see the two files. Delect these in Safe Mode and clean the disk and reboot in Normal Mode. The antispy you mentioned should have no issues with the ZA antispy as well as these: SpywareDoctor, SpySweeper. Windows Defender, Counterspy, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, PestPatrol, Spyware Blaster, Ewido, Trojan Hunter, Unhackme, Trend Micro AntiSpy, McAfee Antispy, AntiHook, Process Guard, CyberHawk. Safety System Monitor, Ghost wall. The ZA a/s works wth all and everything. Usually any SpyBot S&D conflict is in regards to some Active X issues with some other security applications Active X. SpyBot's and IE Spyads conflict is, my guess, the host files of either the IE or the Windows host files. No conflict with ZA and the MVPS host files on my end. Oldosd

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-13-200603:05 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tygerstar Guest

Hi, I tried what you suggested, booted to safe mode, cleaned out the files from the windows internet logs folder and temp folder, cleaned the cache, etc. and rebooted. It made no difference. I still cannot set Zone Alarm Pro to scan all files or to deep scan. It will go right back to quick scan. That is the only one it will do. If Spybot Search and Destroy and IESpyads do not conflict with it, what is the problem??? I am running windows me, not windows xp, by the way. I know I never had a conflict problem before with other antispyware programs running. So I don't know what's wrong here. I have just reinstalled my operating system after a format (due to a nasty trojan). So everything is installed clean. But I still cannot scan all files. What else can you suggest? Best Wishes, Kitty

Default Re: Can't Set Spyware Scan To Scan All Files GURU PLEASE HELP!

Okay Kitty If that does not work, I have the suggestion to do the clean uninstall and reinstall. Unless a GURU or another wise person responds with their higher knowledge and has a better solution. There maybe some other soluton still yet. I will do a search in the previous postings tomorrow and may find the answer. There is a chance it has happened to someone before you. Windows ME may not be the problem. Happy Easter if it applies or Happy Spring if not! I want to see your ZA do the deep scan. I need some sleep: I was up all day and all night. Take care! Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Hi Kitty. Hope things are good. I had a long, great nap and feel very well rested. First I perused the previous posting for Antispy to it's end. Found nothing similiar other than allow "rundll. as an application" and allow "program interaction" Also turn off the scheduled scans and the updater for the antispy. I booted up the laptop to check out my own ZA Pro. The spyware dat resides in the "Zone Alarm" Folder in the Systen32 Folder in the Windows Directory. I am unsure if deleting the dat would produce the desired effect. It may induce a completely, brand new database and MAYBE be the fix. Maybe not. I RTM; haven't glanced it over for some time, so it was a refresher as well. No joy. Back to forum and read the Security issues section to it's entirely. No joy, once again. I went to the Zone Labs Site and went by the idea of ME. Okay the System Requiements for the ZA products has details by a link titled "More Info". Came to "Operating Systems" It mentions that 98se/ME has limited support by MS and it will have ceased the automatic/proactive updates early this year. Zone Alarm states that some features of the ZA products will not function on the older OS, due to limitations of the OS. Hence, Zone Labs has "Limited Support" for both of these OS;s. However Win 2000 is still fully supported. This may be the culprit. It did work well on the Win XP; but after wiping the disk, reformat and installation of ME is the possible confusion? Hope this is more informative for you Kitty, Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-15-200601:15 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tygerstar Guest

Hi, Thank you for all your trouble. I have read both messages. I haven't had time to try anything more yet, like your suggestion to delete the dat file, and I think it's in a different folder in windows me. I have windows xp on the laptop, but that has to be reinstalled as well as both had the virus. I do recall that near the end, with the virus, I could not set ZA to scan all files in windows xp either, but that may have been due to the virus, I do not know. It's not reinstalled yet, so I can't say. But I do know it's not working with windows me in my desktop computer. I have no idea if it's due to the operating system or not. I know I never used to have a problem, but all windows update offers me for windows me now are security updates. All the other perks are no longer offered, and there is one security update for the windows media player that doesn't install, presumably because something else is missing, I suppose. I don't know. I do know that I can't afford to buy a key for every computer just to use windows xp. It's a shame that older operating systems are not supported, especially considering the money we have all put into having them, and the cost of Zone Alarm Pro as well. I will see what deleting the dat file does. However, it will be a pain to reinstall ZAP now, as I have put alot of time and trouble into my security settings, vault, etc. by this time. I have tried saving those before and they don't reinstall back in. But will try if all else fails. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. I would hate to reinstall and learn that it won't fix the problem. So if it's a windows me thing, please let me know. Thanks very much for all your help. I assume you are certain there's not a conflict with Spybot Search and Destroy version 1.4 (which is terribly buggy) or IESpyads.....Best Wishes, Kitty (TygerStar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information