Thread: Wireless Connection Vulnerability

sung Guest

Default Wireless Connection Vulnerability

I just bought a new laptop with wireless connection. I have a wireless setup at home. I was expecting to experience some problems connecting to my wireless network with the laptop, but NO!

I got onto my wireless home network without a hitch. Zonealarm Secuirty Suite was on & the Internet Secuirty Zone and Trusted Zone settings are on HIGH.

Zonealarm did not detect that the laptop was on the network but it was using its resources, how do I prevent anyone from using and sharing my connection without my knowledge?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Wireless Connection Vulnerability

The behavior you experienced is as it should be, your wireless connection was considered as part of your LAN by ZASS. One effective way to secure your wireless network is to log on to your wireless router (with all your machines on) and in there you'll be able to set your router to allow access only to your computers recognizing their unique MAC address. So if someone drove by on the street, they would be able to "see" your network, but not get in.

sung Guest

How do I log onto my wireless network? Thanks so much for the help!

<blockquote><hr>BillCherryAtl wrote:
    The behavior you experienced is as it should be, your wireless connection was considered as part of your LAN by ZASS. One effective way to secure your wireless network is to log on to your wireless router (with all your machines on) and in there you'll be able to set your router to allow access only to your computers recognizing their unique MAC address. So if someone drove by on the street, they would be able to &quot;see&quot; your network, but not get in.
    <hr></blockquote>

billc Guest

Most of them you can get into by typing http://192.168.0.1 into your address bar then hit 'enter'' on your keyboard. You'll see a logon screen asking for your user name & password. If you've never logged on, then likely the user name is 'admin' & password is 'password' but it does vary with different routers. Look in the instructions that came with your wireless router and you'll find it there.

sung Guest

Thanks, problem solved!

<blockquote><hr>BillCherryAtl wrote:
    Most of them you can get into by typing http://192.168.0.1 into your address bar then hit 'enter'' on your keyboard. You'll see a logon screen asking for your user name &amp; password. If you've never logged on, then likely the user name is 'admin' &amp; password is 'password' but it does vary with different routers. Look in the instructions that came with your wireless router and you'll find it there.
    <hr></blockquote>

Thread Information