Thread: Zlclient.exe, VSmon.exe accessing internet producing popup advertisements.

Hybrid View

cckk Guest

Default Zlclient.exe, VSmon.exe accessing internet producing popup advertisements.

Hello, I'm new to this, so sorry if this is the wrong board. Can anyone tell me why Zlclient.exe and VSmon.exe are accessing the internet from within my computer, calling for information and returning a Popup advertisement? In the last month or so, I have desperately tried to resolve this issue. Only for this to keep coming back. After reformating my hard drive, this problem returns. At first I didn't know the VSmon was a file only for ZoneAlarm. But..when looking at my TCPview, the ZLclient.ext and VSmon.exe are both sending out information to remote address IP213.191.85.231 port 80 (a213-191-85-231.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com http). I did a test while this connection was established to make sure the Zone Alarm VSmon still worked. I updated my AntiVirus in Zone Alarm, the VSMON.exe made a connection to the internet

anti virus was updated, but also the other VSmon was still connected. For the last month, while surfing the internet, this popup comes up, even though I have my popupblocker on. At the top of this popup is (akamaitechnologies.com http). These popups are driving me crazy and only after over a month of being annoyed have I begun to try to find out why. Now I see what is happening...this information in my computer or elsewhere is attaching itself to what ever open port it can find..unfortunately Zlclient.exe and VSmon.exe. I have run Spybot, ZoneAlarm antivirus...Antivir, Adaware and found totally nothing. Anyone have any suggestions short of unstalling Zone Alarm again? Also under 'Alerts and Logs, the program viewer...you see where the Zlclient.exe is calling out to the IP address of this company and being allowed to make a connection to DNS a1599.g.akamai. I have made screen shots of this connection if anyone is interested in seeing exactly what I am seeing when this is making a connection. Advise, suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks CKCK2103@hotmail.de

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Zlclient.exe, VSmon.exe accessing internet producing popup advertisements.

I would like to see the popup. This board uses HTML and you'll need to host your image elsewhere. Do you know how to do that?

Also, have you disabled the Windows Messenger service? If not, run GRC's Shoot the Messenger .

cckk Guest

Default Re: Zlclient.exe, VSmon.exe accessing internet producing popup advertisements.

Hi Bill, thanks for the response. I have previously disabeled Windows messenger service. I have downloaded the software you've suggested and use this also. I have traced the IP address to my IPS. I'm a little bit confused. Is it possible my IPS is doing this? Also when I first purchased Zone Alarm..I noticed that the Mail Frontier was accessing the internet producing this popup. I finally found out that Mail Frontier is a software inside Zone Alarm I believe for scanning incoming/outgoing email. But why would it want access to the internet? So I uninstalled Zone Alarm, reinstalled only to find out now VSmon and Zlclient are getting through to the internet with that Akamaitechnologies popup. I have over the last month reformated my computer, installed, uninstalled Zone Alarm to no avail. I guess now I want to know why this is reoccuring. The next time the popup comes I will be happy to post it on the board because this is driving me nuts.

Thanks CK

billc Guest

I'm a bit confused because I thought you were seeing a popup advertisement and not just a Zone Alarm program alert saying that either vsmon.exe or zlclient.exe was trying to access the internet. They will routinely do this for various reasons none of which are to present advertisements to you. Have a look at Hoov's post about communications Zone Alarm makes.

cckk Guest

Hi Bill, I think I have determined a little about
    what is happening. To answer your question, the popup is an advertisement that is outside of the internet browser. A seperate window. I have determined after many hours today that it doesn't matter if its Zone Alarm or my antivirus, what ever this is on my computer is looking at anything and everything it can find to get an outside connection. Today I blocked vsmon and zlclient from any access whatsoever. Next I tried to update my Avira antivirus, and low and behold this stinking IP 213.185.174.65 appeared accessing the internet using my antivirus update.exe. Oh boy..now I was really upset. What ever this is on my computer, did like a fakeout. First my antivirus, legitmate exe files asked Zone Alarm for access to update. I said yes. Next the antivirus scheduler asked permission to update and I said yes. Next a really strange message appeared, looking like another file
    the antivirus needed access to update...of course I said yes and...this IP reappeared. This issue is really not a Zone Alarm problem, like I thought with the vsmon or zlclient. Its an issue that is like way over my head, technically speaking and somebody somewhere out there has gone to loads of trouble to get what ever this is on my computer. I have checked with the RIPE network, traced the IP and...It is indeed my internet service provider. I am a little bit p.o. at the fact that...an Internet service provider would go to such lengths putting this stuff on their customers computers where it affects their Firewall which is suppose to protect them from such attacks as this. I have sent an email to my ISP explaining my annoyance in which case, I am seriously considering cancelling with these people. I have paid good money for my Zone Alarm Internet Security software and how dare these people whoever they are invade my computer as well as my Zone Alarm, using it to get a connection to the internet.
    Grrrr

Anyway..thanks

billc Guest

Sounds like you might have gotten some sort of adware or spyware on your computer. This can happen to even the most astute security-minded user. I'd suggest you ask for help over on the Computer Cops Forum in the 'Security' section. They will likely ask you to post a Hijack This log which will help those experts find anything nefarious on your computer. There way be a simple answer, but I'd check it out..

Thread Information