Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Zone Alarm be trusted?

potatoeman Guest

Default Can Zone Alarm be trusted?

I'm an old time zone alarm user.
    the free version user of corse. I cannot afford the super type versions..

but i have a router (D-Link)then ZoneAlarm . and i adventualy notice that some internet connections are not moniterd by ZoneAlarm's " outgoing and incoming " bars.But the internet light flickers off at times. can this represent a hacker?

how can i get rid of this computer info thief if so?

and im curious, GRC i heard is a great company similar to zonealarm's firewall. should i download the " Shields UP! " thing?

why do i feel so vulnerable to computer hackers even with Zone Alarm cranked up to the max settings i can get for free version?

another thing. what if i DO get a hacker? can zone alarm find and then terminate the file so im happy and safe again?

because I have so many things on my computer i tresure. like family history and more.

one last question, ive noticed " Generic Host Process for Win32 Services " flicker a lot on the program moniter'ing thing.

do any of you have that? its a system file and i check and it says it tries and send things over the internet, but i cant use the internet without it, what should I do?

I feel like a helpless person over the internet, and I cant afford the expencive kinds like I said, they're too much for me

[Hackers are the rulers of the internet. and the law doesn't care about them , even if they break it and go into government files..
    it's a fact. a sad one. and we all must pay, virtualy , mentally , consequencely , life wise, and sadly. - its the truth. ]

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

Message Edited by PotatoeMan on 04-13-200604:53 PM

Default Re: Can Zone Alarm be trusted?

Hi PotatoeMan! A flickering light on the router does not imply a hacker. Shields Up at grc.com is a free test to scan your pc/firewall ports. The test should only be done when the pc is connected directly to your modem. Any tests performed WITH a router will only test the router, never the pc/firewall itself (defeats the purpose of the test). The ZA free should be able to notify you of any unauthorized connnections (possible hijacker). Generic Host Process for Win32 is usually "svchost.exe" (it is required to have access or the internet access will be unavailable). The following: crss.exe, services.exe, winlogon.exe and userinit.exe are required to "Trusted" or LAN access. Explorerer.exe and iexplorerer.exe require both Trusted and Internet Access (a matter of opinion). There should be about four or five svchost.exe used- if you see more in the task manager (ctrl+alt+dele)- then the possibility of a hacker is there. Trust your task manager- learn what processess are being used and what for and do a check on it every time you turn your PC on. It's a great tool- any strange process running (possible hacker or malware) should appear in it. The change in the number of processess running tells you what is happening at a glance! A good free and trustworthy tool is "Process Explorer" from sysinternals,com. Process Explorer has the features of task manager and gives you a complete imformation/trace/background of the processes and your pc.Check your Internet logs for sites and ports being used and by what things. If you have difficulty with the ZA logs, perhaps free TCP View from sysinternals.com will help. This tool will show the ports with the process that is using the port. You are not helpless! Use the netstat in the command prompt to see what is connected at any given moment ( learn some commands for the Prompt and you will be surprised what windows can really do for you!) .Use free antivirus like AntiVir (excellent!), free antispies like Ad-Aware. SpyBot S&D, Ewido (from ewido.net), Asquared ( from esmisoft), MVPS host list, use free Opera or free FireFox browsers (safer and faster than IE), Use free CCleaner from ccleaner.com to clean the unused activeX, unneeded registry keys, records and files from your pc thus the pc faster, cleaner and safer from snoops. Use free antivirus scans from sites like Kaspersky or BitDefender. Never use java and javascripts when browsing on the internet, only allowed on safe sites. Clean the browser's history, cookies and cache after using the internet. No records means no traces. Okay the list goes on and on and on. Oldsod ZA Pro 6.1.744.001

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-13-200609:15 PM

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-13-200609:16 PM

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-13-200609:18 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

However, its also important to realise that ZA runs on Windows and Windows is inherently insecure. ZA cannot provide security over and above that built into the Operating System. You can't build a trusted system on an untrusted base! Its like trying to build the worlds strongest house on a foundation of quicksand - it WILL fail.

ZA can therefore only be as secure as Windows will allow and if you think it is providing you with protection beyond the capailities of the OS, it has lulled you into a very dangerous false sense of security!

That's why rootkits are so dangerous, they can patch the OS to bypass the protection offered by programs like virus checkers and software firewalls, while leaving you with the impression that everything is working normally!.

If you really want security, use LINUX or wait for Windows Longhorn (aka Vista).

Hey FrereOp If I use Linux or Vista, why do I need ZA? Oldosd
    Best regards.
    oldsod

potatoeman Guest

your responce is FANTASTIC!

and it has made my day!

here is all my SVChosts * with 2 games enabled * http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...teCT/LABit.jpg

and i do infact use Spybot S&D but i have one comment to say that Spybot is also one of the things under zone alarm saying its trying to connect with a 3rd party * hacker aka * and is blocking it, so is it truely trust worthy? but i do use Spybot. and thanks for your responce

also... is this what it should look like?

ive boxed ones that look suspicious * like WAY high mem useage , or in a one type of system situation ( local network services )

Message Edited by PotatoeMan on 04-13-200607:06 PM

potatoeman Guest

"
    If you really want security, use LINUX or wait for Windows Longhorn (aka Vista). "

how can i tell your not lieing already to me and trying to hack me?

i know people try and say this stuff and its a clever way to get in.

Message Edited by PotatoeMan on 04-13-200607:08 PM

The best security on the internet is unplug the ethernet cable! Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

potatoeman Guest

hahaha so true...

Oldsod, check the third post and respond please

Thanks i am flattered! Bucket is empty. What is the third party in question? What did the forum at Spybot comment on this issue? Did you just google the address in question to see the description (just do not go there IF it seems suspicious). SpyBot is very trustworthy! What is the name of high mem issue? How many svchost are being used when no games, browsers, email, or other aspects of Windows are in use? Oldosd
    Best regards.
    oldsod

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/svchost.ht...m/?kbid=314056

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-13-200610:31 PM

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-13-200610:35 PM
    Best regards.