Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Zona Alarm Firewall...A-Squared and Spysweeper both flagged ZA/.zzr as malicious

coonhound Guest

Default Free Zona Alarm Firewall...A-Squared and Spysweeper both flagged ZA/.zzr as malicious

I have the free version of Zone Alarm's Firewall on my computers. I am running Windows XPHome Edition on this pc, and Windows XP Pro on my second pc. Both computers areregularly scanned by a-squared, ewido, and Webroot Spysweeper. (I tried ZA Pro & InternetSecurity, but found that they slowed my pc too far down for my liking...)
    On my XP Home Edition ONLY, both Spysweeper and a-squared flagged the Zone Labs/Zone Alarmextension .zzr as being malicious and a threat. It was picked up by both scanners as being a"Trace.Registry.SystemSurveillancePro&quot ; issue. ( In "Folder Options", then "File Types" in "Control Panel",my system considers .zzr to be Zone Labs/ Zone Alarm related...)
    I contacted Webroot, and their tech support, using Process explorer and HiJack this logs from my machineruled it out as a false positive and Spysweeper does not pick it up anymore. A-Squared did not respond tomy query to them regarding this, so I do not know what their position is, but their scanner continues toflag it.
    If this is a system surveillance infection, I certainly want to know. If it is a necessary part of Zone Alarm's Firewall,I would like to know that as well. I am also very curious as to why this does NOT show up in a-squared scans ofmy XP Pro machine, or on a-squared scans on friends' machines running XP Home, a-squared, and Free Zone AlarmFirewall as well... any enlightenment or similar eperiences out there?
    Thanks!

coonhound

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: Free Zona Alarm Firewall...A-Squared and Spysweeper both flagged ZA/.zzr as malicious

What did the Zone Labs Spyware information Center say? Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

coonhound Guest

Default Re: Free Zona Alarm Firewall...A-Squared and Spysweeper both flagged ZA/.zzr as malicious

Zone Alarm security/support would not handle this as I am using the free version.

They directed me to the forum. So, there was no response from them...

Also, I researched ".zzr" and "SystemSurveillancePro". It seems that if I had an

actual SystemSurveillancePro infection, there would be entries in the registry and

.dll files in my pc which would be connected to that. There are none. Nothing but ".zzr"

which I delete every day with a-squared and it disappears until I reboot.

I also tried removing everything
    of Zone Labs from my pc (including logs and user files), then I ran all my

scans in safe mode, created a new restore point, deleted all but the most recent point

(the new one I just created), ran Window Washer w/bleach, defragmented, etc. When I

installed the new Zone Alarm (61-744-001) there it was again. Go figure?

I just performed a Windows folder Search. No .zzr was found on the machine using the ZA free version. What gives? Oldosd
    Best regards.
    oldsod

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...ystemsurv.html Okay pcpitstop, googling, spywareguide drew no answers. It does not belong to Windows or ZA. It nust be some type of malware on your machine to keep creating it. Try a forum such as castlecops or majorgeeks to fix this.They will use the hijack this to search and destroy it. Just follow the instructions to the letter. If it something innocent, they will still have some advise on fixing this. Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-18-200604:05 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1
    Best regards.
    oldsod

coonhound Guest

The tech folks at Webroot (Spysweeper) had me do just that, run HijackThis, Process Explorer, and a registry scan that they

sent me the program for. They checked everything and said it was a false positive for a zone alarm
    related registry/file extension...

I just wondered if I was the only one who had it, and it sounds like I am.
    Oh well, I'll keep on checking... Thanks alot for all your help!

Nice support at Webroot! Where does the .zzr come from? Oldosd
    Best regards.
    oldsod

coonhound Guest

I wish I knew the answer to that. I also wish there was some input from the developeers of

Zone Alarm. I am still researching this, and
    if I find any relevant information, I will share it...

coonhound Guest

I found some new info on the .zzr issue. It is a file type for ZA MailSafe, supposedly for

something called "Zone Alarm Stub Program for ZAPro". I am not running ZAPro, and even when

I change/delete .zzr, it always comes back with reboot. Does this generate any new thoughts

on the issue of how to remove this? I don't even have MailSafe turned on.

Open the Registry, while in the Administrator Account. In the first section of the Registry is the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Scroll down to the z section, not at the very end, but where the two and three letter listings are, in the beginning. Should be there. If not, under Software in each section, should be several listings of Zone Alarm where Mailsafe is included. Also use the "Find" in the "Edit" in the Toolbar of the Registry. Delete the .zrr entries in the right side of regedit where they show under MailSafe and delete the .zrr in the left side of the Regedit where it is listed just as .zrr If deletion is denied, while using the full permissions account, click the item on the left side of the regedit and open Permissions. There tick off the boxes, Apply or Ok and continue the deletion. It is adviseable to either create a System Restore or Back-Up the Registry before doing any work in the Registry. Any possible mistakes can restored. A Sysytem File Check will never repair a damaged Registry. After removing the correct keys, then remove any associated folders, using either a cleaner like CCleaner or Folder Search. It may happen that the ZA will repair itself and again replace the .zrr along with it's folders. Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information