Thread: What If Something Gets Through the Firewall ???

pe_unger Guest

Default What If Something Gets Through the Firewall ???

Simple question: What happens on a home network if something ugly gets through the firewall - for sake of argument don't assume it is a ZoneAlarm failure but rather because I invited it inadvertently onto my machine somehow? Assume for discussion that ZoneAlarm has been set up so that the network is trusted, and also that there is NO always-on virus scanner or that the files are out of date so nothing is present to intercept the ugly. Also assume that windows networking has been set up such that none of the secondary PC's hard disks are file-shared with the internet machine but the internet machine hard drives are shared with the secondary machines (pull only file sharing).

The real question is whether restricting file sharing in the windows network setup as described above will limit and contain the infection to the internet-connected machine?

Given what I have seen of windows performance relative to security, I have sincere doubts that the absence of file sharing between the internet machine and the secondary computers will limit the spread of the infection, am I wrong here?

Operating System:Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: What If Something Gets Through the Firewall ???

I do not think you are wrong. If a nefarious program gets into your gateway machine, I believe your client machines are at risk as well under the configuration you described.

Thread Information