Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug with ZA locking hosts file

extreme_one Guest

Default Re: Bug with ZA locking hosts file

I get the same bug.

As for someone saying it's not a biggie and it won't get fixed anytime soon. It' big enough for me to consider dropping ZA altogether if it's not fixed soon!

flyyourway Guest

Are you paying for your version?

extreme_one Guest

<blockquote><hr>FlyYourWay wrote:
    Are you paying for your version?
    <hr></blockquote>

What difference does that make?

I'm currently using the Free version and have been very satisfied up til now (even though a great many of my buddies tell me there are far better free FWs available)

I'm glad I don't pay in all honesty! If I did I'd be even more annoyed by the inconvenience this bug causes.

If I were considering paying for a FireWall do you think that this bug, and Zone Labs' apparent unwillingness to push out a patch to fix it or even to acknowledge it's existance, makes me more or less confident in ZA as a product worth investing in?

flyyourway Guest

My point was,that if you have a paid for version there is a work around,if you use the FREE version then there is no workaround for you.I have reported this bug for another user,I am hoping ZA will have it resolved within their next release,if my answer doesnt sooth your needs please revert to the last good version which was working for you,which I believe would be the 6.1 version.

phoet Guest

OK I can understand that ZA givess priority to payi ng customers, but I use ZA pro 6.5.722 and smartdefense advisor (althouigh I set it to of ) is also complaininjg about that spy sweeper SDK is trying to access /etc/hosts.

And I am not aware of a fix wich correct this bug.

So does I ask myself is ZA giving support or what ?

apperently not, paying or non-paying customer !

forum_moderator Guest

It is part of the OS Firewall settings, so simply change it to unlock HOSTS.

Marcus

esman Guest

Marcus:

The problem still exists. Please read my original message. If you do the temporary fix, change it to (Check) and save, then (Uncheck) Lock Hosts File, you can modify your hosts file until you reboot your machine. Once you restart, the hosts file is still locked by ZA, even though the box is still unchecked. This is a bug that ZA needs to address. Can you report this to the proper people at Zone Labs? Thank you.

jcimarron Guest

Marcus--Have you read the rest of this thread? Unchecking "Lock Hosts File" does not work starting with the last two or three versions of ZAFree (starting withv 6.5.700.000 or perhaps earlier)and ZAPro.

That is precisely the problem being discussed.

Fortunately a workaround has been found, also as detailed above. ButZA should not require a workaround.And the problem did not exist earlier.

It would be appreciated if you can bring this to the attention of programmers at ZA.

P.S. Also see http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=34584

Message Edited by jcimarron on 07-07-2006 05:13 PM

enoskype Guest

Good news !!!!!!

ZA free version 6.5.731.000 is cleaned with locking hosts file bug.

They also solved the compatibility problem with Mc Afee virus program.

Congratulations....

enoskype

jcimarron Guest

Many thanks, enoskype!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information