Thread: ZA causes my pc to crash

tashfeen Guest

Default ZA causes my pc to crash

hi, i installed ZA 6, the fre version. but now my windows xp (sp2 installed) hangs at the exact moment when i connect to the internet (i have a dial-up connection and use a Prolink usb modem). well actually, the 'blue screen of death' pops up, mentioning some fatal error. i have to reset my pc manually (can't even restart), and when it reboots windows tells me that the system has actually recovered from a serious error. i've used ZA in the past and found it reliable; what went wrong this time around? any help?niz

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: ZA causes my pc to crash

Try uninstalling your firewall and then reinstall a fresh copy. Go into the start menu and the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now try a fresh copy.

It could also be useful to copy those codes down on your BSOD and see if that furthers any clue.

mnaines Guest

The problem probably is not from ZoneAlarm. it could be an internal problem with the computer itself. Some stability issues...Some Intel processors can cause stability issues with Windows XP. It could also be due to your dial-up connection. Or it could be from lack of memory. Windows XP requires an absolute minimum of 256MB RAM to run at near-to-full capacity. If you are running an Intel processor, my best advice is to use low-latency RAM chips, preferably 512MB or higher. If you are running an AMD Processor, then make sure you are running with at the very least 512MB of RAM, preferably PC3200 if your motherboard will support it. Also, try defragmenting your harddrivbes and running disk cleanup. You did not provide enough information for me to get an accurate picture of the problem, so I don't know where exactly to start, but these steps should at least have some effect.

tashfeen Guest

I followed your instructions and have reinstalled ZA. However, the problem persists. From my last observation, once I install ZA, my PC freezes to the blue screen of death the moment I go online (my modem makes a connection sound). I have to reset my PC to get back in control. And upon reboot Windows tells me that the system has recovered from a serious error, opting to send an error report. I am really having problems here: any help?
    T.

tashfeen Guest

What info might you need? I have 512 MB of RAM (DDR), a Celeron 2.4 GHz processor, an Intel 865 GA motherboard, Win XP Pr (SP2), Kaspersky Antivirus Personal installed. The system works fine once ZA is removed. Help!

danee Guest

Same problem here and I am writing in 2006/06/19 since your posts.

I do not see any reference to this issue unless it is the ATTN: ALL USERS - Installation etc etc etc posts which is quite lengthy.

I have around 8 machines varying between windows 95 - 4 or 5 running Windows XP (sp2).

I have installed ZA free on all machines with no problems until my recent purchase of this system configuration:

- Intel
    Desktop Board D101GGCBIOS Update 0307

(latest firmware from Intel)

- 1GIG Ram

- And this is what they report running their identification program:

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility
    Version: 2.8.20060328
    Time Stamp: 2006/06/20 02:55:02
    Number of processors in system: 1
    Current processor: #1
    Processor Name: Intel(R) Celeron(R) D CPU 341 2.93GHz
    Type: 0
    Family: F
    Model: 4
    Stepping: 1
    Revision: 17
    L1 Instruction Cache: 12 K
    ops
    L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
    L2 Cache: 256 KB
    Packaging: LGA775
    EIST: No
    MMX(TM): Yes
    SIMD: Yes
    SIMD2: Yes
    SIMD3: Yes
    Enhanced Halt State: No
    Execute Disable Bit: Yes
    Hyper-Threading Technology: No
    Intel(R) Extended Memory 64 Technology: Yes
    Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: No
    Expected Processor Frequency: 2.93 GHz
    Reported Processor Frequency: 2.93 GHz
    Expected System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz
    Reported System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz

I HAVE for myself proven conclusively that the problem is ZA running on this type of motherboard on this type of chip.

I have checked with www.intel.com -- http://mysearch.intel.com/corporate/...mp;q=zonealarm- nothing reported as of yet (and I am not doing it on purpose).

I SUSPECT that DRM technology is in the motherboard chip.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121027,00.asp

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../05/28/1718200- scroll down the page to see

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23548

etc etc etc

Though I am on the fence for the drm discussion I have a feeling that these chips d 341 is doing something similarto the d945 chips ??? I am sure someone will have a comment and can shed light on this.

Anyway I think that this is part of the ZA issue. This chip is trying to do something and ZA is catching it but does not know how to handle it and the pc crashes.

IF I load the same ZA on any other chip or motherboard older then this listed board above in my possession ( I do not own all the motherboards/chips available) there is no problem.

ONCE I remove the ZA off my machine boots up no problems and is usable.

Putting on MS XP firewall (please do not laugh too hard) is the best thing I can do for now.

I am trying the ATTN: ALL USERS - Installation etc etc posts and if it works I stand corrected.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=48347

Does anyone else see some of this as well.

I see a real problem with DRM doing things in the background and Intel and MS are going to work on it together which kind of scares me.

SO i am off to try the above link which will take me quite a while.

thanks danny

danee Guest

I have some more news on this issue.Awhile ago I had installed a ZA version from CA that is called ZA Lite.I thought the whole time that it was similar to the current versions of Free ZoneAlarm version:6.5.714.000 for example. THIS IS the same version CA ZA Lite that I loaded on all my machines - it has a virus checker included.That was the version locking up on me at boot and rebooting...Do not know if this was your problem also in this thread.Today I downloaded the latest ZoneAlarm version:6.5.714.000 and installed and it worked.Of course my machine had no zonealarm entries etc since I took it off a long time ago and cleared out registry and files and directories.So if that is your problem try to reload it again.I am happy this is working now as windows firewall (snicker at myself) was a poor substitute.thanks to all if they read this thread trying to assist.still all the other stuff i posted is still very scary to me - it is just a big brother feeling!danny :mantongue:

Thread Information