Thread: Is a ZA computer with DSL secure during computer reboot?

johnnybob Guest

Default Is a ZA computer with DSL secure during computer reboot?

I recentlytried SunbeltK.erioPF and it has a box to check to make the computer secure during reboots. There is no such option in free ZA. This is important for always-connected computers with broadband such as DSL or cable.It takes about a minute sometimes for the ZA icon to appear in systray after a reboot. So is there anypossibility for a virus or hacker to gain entry during therestart process?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: Is a ZA computer with DSL secure during computer reboot?

Your computer is only as safe as Windows allows it to be. Don't fall into the trap of believeing that ZA (or any other firewall) can protect you against the security holes in the operating system itself. It can't. If you think it can, it might be time to go down and have a chat to the fairies at the bottom of the garden!

johnnybob Guest

You might be right, in general, but I'm curious about this specific situation - restarting the computer (rebooting). Those of us with a permanent broadband connection (DSL, cable, etc) seldom bother toturn offthe modem before rebooting, at least I operate that way. Presumably sometime during that reboot process before ZA has had a chance to reload itself there may be an open door for hackers or viruses/worms etc to enter. Right? I don't know if that's true, but it seems logical to me. The question is whether ZA closes that rabbit hole, or not. I've been reading quite a bit and believe the best way may be to get a NAT/SPI router, not very expensive, $50 or so for a good one at Walmart, and I wonder why they're not built into every computer. Then we wouldn't need a software firewall like ZA. Right?

aweir Guest

First off, vsmon.exe, the Zonealarm Truevector service, is started at boot up. Just because Zonealarm's GUI takes a minute to load after windows has started doesn't mean you're not protected. Vsmon.exe is already running before you even see the Windows desktop, protecting you from the start....as a service.

"the best way may be to get a NAT/SPI router...then we wouldn't need a software firewall like ZA. Right?"

Almost.

A NAT router will be a good option, but does not prevent any malicious program such as a trojan from connecting to the internet. The router has great inbound protection from port scans, but will alow ANYTHING to leave your computer. So a router will be protecting you from inbound traffic 24/7, while a software firewall like Zonealarm will try to stop any unapproved outbound stuff. But if you practice sensible computing, you won't really have to worry about outbound traffic as much if you are running with good antivirus/antispyware/anti-trojan software.

Message Edited by aweir on 07-17-2006 08:21 PM

Thread Information