Thread: WINPCAP spyware/remote monitoring

johnsin Guest

Default WINPCAP spyware/remote monitoring

Hi, I've been using zone alarms antispyware utility, but today I installed XoftSpy and it immediately pointed me out to the following entries:
    (Please see image for winpcap entries that it found with severe level on it.)
    http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=winpcap3vt.jpg (ZA Spyware Didn't find these however)

Can anyone tell me if that is infact someone remotely monitoring my system and if so how can I prevent it using my firewall, as zonealarm hasn't detected the nppagent.exe or winpcap utility or blocked any sort of entry like that.

When I searched about winpcap on the internet it mentions that it bypasses protocol stack. I'm not sure what this means, but I have CSS Diamond Port Explorer Installed and neither that detects any backdoor trojans or remote connections.

Can someone confirm if those entries are infact dangerous and why zonealarm hasn't picked them up and should I be concerned about changing any settings or adjusting my zonealarm settings to deal with the above problem?

Also, after updating to ZA 6.5, ZA has failed to save any of the changes made to the advanced program settings or expert rules, they failed to get saved can anyone explain why this is happening as well. I've lost several of my advanced program settings even when I restored my previous backup entries they would not save in 6.5..

Kind Regards
    Johnsin

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: WINPCAP spyware/remote monitoring

I have no idea why WinPCap would be installed. From the WinPCap web site

WinPcap is the industry-standard tool for link-layer network access in Windows environments: it allows applications to capture and transmit network packets bypassing the protocol stack, and has additional useful features, including kernel-level packet filtering, a network statistics engine and support for remote packet capture.

http://www.winpcap.org/default.htm

ai_tak Guest

Default Re: WINPCAP spyware/remote monitoring

XoftSpy is on of those programs that detects lots of stuff incorrectly(false positive)as a method to encourage users to buy the full version, I wouldn't trust results from that program.

Thread Information