Thread: problem with startup of zlclient.exe

rowirowi Guest

Default problem with startup of zlclient.exe

Some program/file (possibly virus) prevents me to run zlclient.exe on my laptop. Removing and reinstalling ZoneAlarm (rebooting) does not help. However, renaming zlclient.exe to some different name allows me to run the program, apparently normally. I am running Windows XP Professional, and the free version of ZoneAlarm. Does anyone have an idea where in the system the running of a particular program could be disabled?
    Robert

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: problem with startup of zlclient.exe

Hi,
    Try resetting your database. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot into the normal mode.
    PLEASE keep me posted on your results, Thanks.
    SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

rowirowi Guest

Unfortunately, rebooting and deleting the files backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb in safe mode and again rebooting did not change the problem. I can still only start zlclient.exe under a different filename. (The rdb-files present in the c:\windows\internet logs folder after rebooting are now the new files bu_tosave.rdb and lamdb.rdb.)

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,

PLEASE go back and follow the instructions step by step, take your time and make sure you don't miss any of the steps.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=52386

Now, for some unknown reason you are still having problems, then I suggest you go to the following thread and PLEASE follow the "EXACT INSTRUCTIONS", especially the all the REGISTRY KEYS and FILES that NEED to be REMOVED, before Zone Alarm can be installed properly. Once again, PLEASE take your time and PLEASE don't skip over any of the critical REGISTRY KEYS or FILES, as it only takes one little Registry Key or File to cause any type of problems with Zone Alarm.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=48347

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

forum_moderator Guest

NOTE - Zlclient is only the User Interface. There are other pieces to the firewall.I highly suggest running one or more of the free online AV scanners. Most AV vendors now have them. Try several of them to be sure. Many viruses and trojans try to shutdown security software. In the case of ZoneAlarm they are able to shut down the Interface but the firewall is still up and running. Marcus

rowirowi Guest

I tried to follow as carefully as possible the advices given by SlyFox.

In particular, I scanned my pc for virus, etc, with scan utilities from http://housecall.trendmicro.com and of http://www.pandasoftware.com/ additionnally with my own updated virus program from Symantec and with SpySweeper (running routinely on my pc). My installed security programs did not find anything, the scanners from trendmicro and Pandasoftware found a few cookies and two vulnerabilities, which however did not seem to present serious risks to me. Trendmicro allowed to delete the cookies in question, and the vulnerability was removed by installing a patch from Microsoft. Unfortunately, PandaSoftware is a commercial product not giving the possibility of disinfecting for free. So a few cookies (not found by SpySweeper) are still active.

I updated my root certificate manually.

I then again uninstalled ZoneAlarm, rebooted, and checked carefully the registration database for all the folders and files suggested. All the folders and files mentioned in the second link from SlyFox (http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=48347) were checked and carefully removed from the registration database. I did not skip any of them. I am rather convinced of having removed all traces of ZoneAlarm from the registration database. I also removed all folders and files as suggested.

I rebooted again, deactivated SpySweeper (I was however not able to stop the service) and Norton Antivirus and then reinstalled ZoneAlarm and rebooted again.

However, I experience the same problem as before: I can only run zlclient.exe under a different name. Looking at the running processes, I can see that zlcliente.exe IS running (under its original name), but with a memory use of only 68 kByte, while the same program running under the new name uses 6084 kByte.

oliverjames Guest

<blockquote><hr>SlyFox wrote:
    Hi,
    Try resetting your database. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot into the normal mode.
    SlyFox
    <hr></blockquote>

Hello Slyfox,

Yesterday I experienced a problem due to local heatwave causing my ISP to go down. In checking the source of this problem I turned of my ZA internet suite in order localise the problem. No huge security risk as my machine hides behind a Netgear modem router firewall when at home.

Any I rebooted XP family edition and found that I could not restart the user interface. Any number of uninstall,reinstall ops did not cure this.

Found your mail (above) and it solved the problem. Many Thanks.

Thread Information