Thread: Steve Gibsons port scan of my system security

dennisss Guest

Default Steve Gibsons port scan of my system security

When I tested the security of my system with www.grc.com it said that my firewall sent a 'ping' to them in response to their ping. This immediately identified my computer on the net. Can I stop this outgoing ping. I am on a ADSL broadband connection using router. I have the firewall set on High...Gibson says I am invisible, except for the ping...which gives me away. This is a weakness is'nt it? Dennis

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition

ai_tak Guest

Default Re: Steve Gibsons port scan of my system security

The scanner is likely scanning your dsl modem if it is acting as a NAT router, and if it is not, then in is scanning your stand along router, not your pc.

nwarp Guest

Default Re: Steve Gibsons port scan of my system security

If you are using a router with built in fire wall your router is most likely responding to the WAN pings . I use a D-Link router with built in firewall which had responding to WAN pings as default. My system therefore failed the Shieldsup test. I have now enabled the WAN ping block using the routers configuration menu. My systen now passes the sheildsup test. All routers with inbuilt firewall may have the respond to WAN pings as a default setting.

Regards from Down Under

Thread Information