Thread: Safe Firefox, ZLClient

datcomeng Guest

Default Safe Firefox, ZLClient

When I open ZA Pro (6.1.737) and look at the "Programs" section (upper right) that has the 4 blocks for Icons, I see my Safe Firefox with a blue MS "File Sharing" hand at the bottom of it. Does, someone have access to my computer? Why is that there? It occurs with a couple of other application icons too. I have checked my "file sharing" setting and it is unchanged from the install of XP. Default is zero file sharing. If it is a threat, how do I remedy it?

Also, my ZL Client is triggering an "end now" window on Shut Down. It just started doing it. How does one address this?

Thank you for your help.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

ai_tak Guest

Default Re: Safe Firefox, ZLClient

The hand means that it is (or has during the session) acted as a server (listened for a connection) ftp often uses this but their are a few others too. The end now is the zonealarm client is exiting a little slower than windows would like it to. Are you seeing the bar going across for a few seconds or is it getting the whole way across and still not exiting?

datcomeng Guest

Hi and Thanks for your reply.

The ZLClient goes away after a couple of bars and usually faster, but there are times that I have to end now manually.

On the programs acting as a "server", this is normal for Firefox, Generic 32 Services? It sounds as though my computer is being "accessed". Like someone is able to retreive data from my hard drive at will without any security.

Thanks again for any understanding you can share.

ai_tak Guest

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" needs to be a server in the trusted site zone so the DHCP client works correctly, firefox may on occation need to act as a server in the internet zone (for example an ftp download that isn't using PASV mode). Does firefox alwaystry toact as a server for you? If so, on what ports?

datcomeng Guest

I am not sure what DHCP and PASV mean, but I think (not sure) that the Firefox listens to various ports. Like now it is listening to 3249. Before, again I think, it was something like 3028. I think it changes. ??

As far as it acting like a server, Firefox doesn't do it that often like you pointed out.

So, I should leave Gen32 services server settings both to "allow"? And as long as I recognize any other program, I should "allow" them as well?

Real quick, is there supposed to be 5 SVCHOST.exe running at one time? With a SVCHOST-Local service and a SVCHOST-Network service?

Thanks again.

ai_tak Guest

Without optimizing your windows services there can be quite a few svchost.exe (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services)running. Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe) should be allowed trusted and internet access, and trusted server permissions, and denied internet server permissions (this should be the default). Was firefox listening on upd or tcp ports?

Thread Information