Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other computers on my network

notap Guest

Default Other computers on my network

I am finding other computers on my network. Is there a way to configure Zone Alarm to deny access?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: Other computers on my network

Can you be more specific? What type of network, and do you have any devices like routers or print servers etc? These have network interfaces and should be there.

ZA will not affect traffic on a Windows Network, only traffic on TCP/IP networks. Hence is you have a Windows network and share a drive, anyone on the network had complete access to the entire contents of that drive and ZA can do nothing about it.

If you run W2K or XP Pro, make sure you set the permissions on Window shares correctly. Especially delete "Everyone" and replace it with "Authenticated Users". Also, if you are on a network that is controlled by a Windows Server, anyone with Network Administrator rights has total access to the contents of all computers on the network irrespective of the share permissions.

notap Guest

Please excuse my ignorance while I try to answer your question. I'm using a peer to peer network with 2 w2k procomputers and one XP Home computer. As far as I understand it is a Microsoft windows network. I had to enable TCPIP, File and printer sharing and Client for Microsoft networks. It is connected through a Dlink router and has no print server. I am sure they are not any of my devices but they show up in My Network Places as additional computers with names that I wouldn't use. Currently there is a computer named Your-df0f6745a showing up but there has been various names. These computers show up even when I shut down everything else on the network. I have been told that there is probably a trojan on my computer acting as a server. I got Zone Alarm after failing to detect anything using Mcafee. After using ZA, I havn't seen them for about 3 weeks but nowthey have showed up again.

I have a Linksys wireless/ethernet cable router and I can configure it to only allow specific computers to access my network. You should check to see if your router has this capability as well.

notap Guest

Hello ledoc, thanks for that suggestion.I already tried to find options to configure my router in this way. I see filters that I can use to deny or allow Lan users or Lan IP addresses from accessing the internet, but none to deny access to my network. If you know how these filters can be used to accomplish that it would be a big help.

I would still need to deal with whatever malware that is allowing this to happen though. After being unable to detect any problems using Macafee, Spybot, Spyware Doctor and a short lived success with ZA, I was able to find several problems using Adaware and Panda's online Virus Scan. I was able to remove everything except: Dialer.GPP and the intruder still seems to be there.

If your network is wireless than look for MAC Address filtering. Afraid this only applies to wireless networks though.

I understand Ewido is a very thorough malware detector. They offer a 30 day fully functional free trial version.

notap Guest

Thanks

My DLink DI514 router is wireless and I saw the option for MAC Address filtering. I will try this after trying Ewido.

Thanks again,

notap Guest

Thanks ledocI ran Ewido, which detected the malware but on each of 4 scans, after detecting and completing the scan Ewido closed without performing the selected action. My settings include quarantine and automatically generate report after every scan.I reconfigured the router for url filtering and I am not seeing the intrudersnow. I will specifically allow my resources by their MAC Adresses once I'm sure I have all the MAc addresses that should have access.

Glad you found the cause. It shows how important having all information is. There was no indication about your router in your intial e-mail. The culprit will be someone living very close and who has a wireless enabled computer, or some other wireless enabled device like a Playstation Portable, a Pocket PC or a Sony Cli /Palm Pilot.

Securing a wireless network is a nightmare. Even MAC addressing is no guarantee as MAC addresses can be cloned in some network adaptors and a packet sniffer being used by a hacker can capture MAC addresses which they can use. See this post by my good friend Ad-Hock for details: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=security&message.id=14813

Make sure you at least have WEP enabled as well and WPA if you have it.

Finally, make sure you secure your own computers from within by ensuring you REPLACE the 'Everyone' with 'Authenticated Users' in file share permissions for all drives, folders and files that are share resources on the network. (right click on a disk, folder or file and select Permissions then click on the "Security" tab). If you don't, then the disk, folder or file is available for everyone with a file browser who has access to your network, not just those who have accounts on the machines.

notap Guest

Thanks FrereOPI didn't think about the wireless router thing because I had disabled it some time ago because I was having difficulties implementing WEP. I intended tolearn more about it before using wireless but I think that I mist have reset the router and neglected to disable again. The discussion you pointed me to has good information to get me started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information