Thread: deleting local network allowed possibly by error

jcchev Guest

Default deleting local network allowed possibly by error

This morning I received a pop up message telling me that a local network was trying to access and believing it was my wife's laptop working through my router I allowed it. However, we're do not believe now that it is her laptop and I need to know how to delete the IP address I "allowed" from my allowed list. I'm a new user and am not very "sure footed" yet with this program, but sure like it so far. Thanks for your help.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

billc Guest

Default Re: deleting local network allowed possibly by error

Open your Zone Alarm control panel, go to the Firewall > Zones tab, click on the IP you wish to undo, then click on the 'Remove' button at the bottom of the panel. You can remove any IP or LAN on your Zones list in this manner. Is that what you wanted to know?

trilldax Guest

I stumbled on this thread while searching for a solution to my current problem. A few days ago I returned to my computer which had been idle a couple of hours. On the screen was a ZA popup alert telling me it had found a new network. Knowing I did not do this, and not recognizing what was there, I told it to cancel. The next window I saw said "added new network." ????? Now there is an unknown "local" (its nowhere near being local to me) network that I cannot delete as you suggested.

When I try to click remove, it tells me I cannot delete an active network. I locked the internet, still nothing. I tried starting the computer in safe mode, then manually starting ZA, still no go. I then disconnected the internet cable and restarted the computer. The suspicious network did not show up for me to delete same. HOW do I get rid of this thing?

All virus and malware scans find nothing suspicious at all.

The first question I ask myself when looking at your post, besides things such as which ZA you are using and why not just start a new thread instead of adding to an old dead thread, is what was this new network that the ZA did find?

Okay do this:

First open the ZA and the Firewall, select the Main, select the Advanced button and in the Network Settings, select or click the "Ask which Zone to place new networks upon detection" and OK.

To remove this unwanted network, please reset the ZA datavase , so please follow:
    [*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data</br>

To give the ZA some basic and correct network configuring after the database reset is performed, please follow:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Best regards, Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-14-2008 10:09 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

trilldax Guest

Thanks for your help. I am using the Zone Alarm Security Suite. I'm not in front of that computer at the moment so I do not know the exact version but I have had it two years.

As for replying to the old message... I find these message boards difficult to navigate and usually get frustrated looking for things. I found this old thread and simply hit reply rather than doing as I should have and make a new post.

I have no idea what network ZA found. When I did a whois on the listed IP, the whois was somewhere in Ohio; and I am somewhere in Tennessee.

As far as resetting the database, if I am going to have to reconfigure everything, wouldn't it be just as simple to uninstall and reinstall? I will follow your remaining suggestions and check those settings.

An interesting note to this scenario. The mysterious network appeared about 3 or 4 days after this computer was removed from a router and connected directly to incoming cable. A new router was just installed this day. After about 3 or 4 computer restarts, that mysterious network has disappeared.

Again, thank you for your help.

Thread Information