Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I allowed an IP address access to my computer by error and need to undo this.

jcchev Guest

Default I allowed an IP address access to my computer by error and need to undo this.

Today I received an alert that another computer was trying to assess the internet through my system and assming it was my wife's lapgop I allowed it. However, I'm not sure this was the thing to do. Now I have an unknown IP address listed as being allowed. I have assigned it to "internet" rather than "trusted", but would really like to "undo" this if possible. What do I need to do?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: I allowed an IP address access to my computer by error and need to undo this.

Delete the entry from within "Firewall/Zones". I presume you have some form of Internet Connection Sharing and I guess this is what you mean.

jcchev Guest

Default Re: I allowed an IP address access to my computer by error and need to undo this.

I have tried to delete this entry from the Firewall/Zones box; however, it keeps telling me that I cannot delete an existing network. My concern is that I do not know what this IP address represents.

What is the IP address? - Just post the first 2 triplets thus:- 192.168.***.*** as this will tell us a lot about your network and we will be better placed to help.

muffincharizard Guest

If the entry in the zones list has a pipes icon, then it is a network. (If it doesn't then let us know.) It is common for laptops to have two (wireless and wired). Just set it to the Internet zone and everything will be fine.

jcchev Guest

Thanks. I have it in the internet zone now....

jcchev Guest

The IP address begins with 192.168. What does that tell you?

muffincharizard Guest

That it is connected to a device that is doing network address translation.

The following are relevant:-<ul>[*]You are behind a router which is a VERY effective inbound firewall.[*]IP addresses beginning with 192.168 are reserved for LAN's and are not vaild Internet IP addresses. All computers attached to your LAN will have addresses beginning with this prefix.[*]Your router is doing what is called Network Address Translation or NAT (ie it translates all the invalid internal LAN addresses into a single valid external address given to you by your ISP so you and everyone else on your network can access the internet simultaneously.[/list]The IP address you are worried about is your LAN, ie your wife's computer or other computers attached directly to your LAN. Is your wife's PC and yours daisy-chained or are both your PC's plugged directly into the router?

In ZA the entry you are concerned about will be listed like this:-

Network Name | 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 | Network | Trusted

This should be fine.

jcchev Guest

Thanks so much. This is really helpful. My wife's laptop and our PC are both pluged into the Netgear router rather than daisy-chained ( I think). Thanks to everyone who replied and gave me helpful info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information