Thread: Error Code: 0x8007F01E

totallytingtong Guest

Default Error Code: 0x8007F01E

I have Windows XP and the ZoneAlarm firewall. I recently denied Windows Genuine Advantage access (Windows Genuine Advantage had already been installed on my computer months ago)and instructed ZoneAlarm to remember this. I am now having trouble with Windows Updates which previously ran fine (automatically).
    Both KB905474(Windows Genuine Advantage) and KB918899 failed to install, with "Error Code: 0x8007F01E" being displayed when I ask for more information on KB918899.
    I have since allowed Windows Genuine Advantage access to the internet but the problem persists. Any help would be much appreciated.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Firewall: ZoneAlarm (Free)Version 6.5
    Antivirus: AVG (Free)
    Anti-spyware: Spybot, Ad-aware, Defender Beta

Default Re: Error Code: 0x8007F01E

Try removing WGA from your programs list and when it asks for access grant it and see if that corrects the problem. Periodically (not as often) it checks with Microsoft's servers to validate that you are running a legitimate copy of Windows.

totallytingtong Guest

I removed WGA from the programs list, tried to download the updates and once again the downloads failed. ZA didn't ask for any access rights for any program. Thanks for the input.
    ps. I see you run Process Guard. Looking through the forum today I've heard about HIPS for the first time, of which I believe Process Guard is an example. What advantage does it have over "normal" antivirus programs? Does anybody know if it woulkd clash with the AVG Free antivirus program that I run.
    Thanks again.

Process Guard is not an antivirus program. It is very similar to the OS firewall in ZoneAlarm in that it will protect your system from the installation of rootkits, any type of system/program process termination just to name a few. I have included a link to help you read more on Process Guard. Take care.http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

totallytingtong Guest

so much to learn ... thanks again.

galal Guest

totallytingtong Guest

Default THANKS TO ALL WHO'VE HELPED TODAY

Thank you - everyone.

Thread Information