Thread: svchost.exe

totallytingtong Guest

Default svchost.exe

In the ZA Program Control, the only program set to "allow" in the Server columns is the Generic Host Process (C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe), which is set to "allow" in the Trusted column and "block" in the internet column.
    I understood that no programs in the Server column should be set to "allow", so I attempted to change "allow" in the Trusted column to "ask". The following message was displayed:
    "Applying custom settings to System programs could cause serious problems with your computer including crashes and internet connectivity problems. ZA strongly recommends that you do not change these settings."
    Obviously I didn't! ... But 2 queries follow:
    1. What is svchost.exe and what makes it the exception to the rule?
    2. Does "Allow"-ing it in the Trusted Server produce any security gaps?
    I'm new to learning about computer security and know very little; but i do find it very interesting. Any knowledge imparted would be gratefully received.

ZA Free, AVG Free, Spybot, Ad-aware, Defender Beta, Windows XP Home

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: svchost.exe

I've allowed to do everything as it is a part of the Windows OS (including Access and Server under Program Control).Otherwise you probably get bombarded with annoying Security alert messages everytime Windows tried to do something using svchost.exe

totallytingtong Guest

thanks once again (are we the only ones on the site today - people will start talking!)

galal Guest

svchost.exe checks the services part of the registry at startup to construct a list of services.
    Multiple instances of svchost.exe can run at the same time.
    Each svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, therefore separate services can run which permit better control and easier debugger.
    you can give internet access safely to svchost.exe.
    No need to server rights except unless u have a home or office network.
    Best wishes

Message Edited by galal on 08-19-2006 07:43 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

ad_hock Guest

Just one thing to add.Give it full access both trusted and internet and server rights but only in trusted zone.Deny server rights in internet zone (three green ticks and a red cross under server internet).
    Best regards

galal Guest

ok u can do as Ad Hock just said
    but if u r not running a network, u can block server rights " both trusted and internet "
    P.S : what Ad Hock said is the recommended default settings from zone labs.
    Best wishes

totallytingtong Guest

Default BIG THANK YOU TO ALL

Many thanks to everybody who replied. First time I've subscribed to a forum - very very useful. Thanks again.

Thread Information