Thread: Outbound programs !!!

eggyboy Guest

Default Outbound programs !!!

hi.just wondering why and if i should have so many programs secured for internet access. Currently stands at 326 ! When i check in my program control and check programs and components the green check marks dont add up to 326. Does this include older programs / components that are no longer being used ?Just seems a little a strange to me !Any ideas ? cheers

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Outbound programs !!!

It seems a lot and certainly includes upgrades and updates for programs that remained in the list.You may check one by one right clicking over it and clicking properties,if it's an orphan entry an error message it' displayed and you may remove it.Another quick way is to select after a close looking atentries you are not aware of and remove.If the program is active and needs access it will ask again.Finally another solution would be a resetting of ZA data base starting from groud zero,however if you don't have problems like ZA forgetting settings and so on I don't thik it worth to do.Best regards

eggyboy Guest

thanks. looks like this might take some time ! would a complete reinstall be quicker ?

cheers

ad_hock Guest

You're welcomeIt's not necessary to uninstall. You may reset your data base and after you start from ground zero as you loose all your customizations and need to build a fresh data base.Myself, even without problems, I reset at least once a year to have always a fresh data base.Follow this instructionsBest regards

eggyboy Guest

Thnx Ad-Hock for the advice. All done and sorted. A lot of the programs were just setup installations and were no longer needed. I have just deleted the files you mentioned and then let zonealarm relearn its permissions.

cheers

ad_hock Guest

You're welcome EggyboyBest regards

futureq Guest

Hi, something in this thread relates to my problem.
    Although I too have a great many programs what I am having the most problem with right now is ZA not remembering settings. Specifically there are a few actions it repeatedly asks me if I want to allow and it doesn't matter if I agree or deny it will ask again on bootup. One in particular is
    concerning my printer. It wants to know if I want to allow it to be a server and the alert color is blue. Two others appear to be related to programs I have installed but right now I don't have the exact names of them written down. Another is MS's
    Dr. Watson debugging proggie that wants to run after an error with a program. ZA askms me everytime if it should be allowed to run. This is exceedingly annoying. What should
    I do?

flyyourway Guest

DataBase Reset is the first step to correcting this problem,just be aware resetting it will wipe out any configurations you have set within the firewall,but seems the database has become corruped anyhow so a clean restart might be a good thing..

Thread Information