Thread: ZA seems to soley prevent take over of computer

razorshine Guest

Default ZA seems to soley prevent take over of computer

Hello everyone, new poster here. I have recently ran into what seems to be one of the odder problems I have run across but maybe someone here has seen it. Anyways, the problem is this:

Computer runs normally when I boot up, ZA starts normally on boot.
    If I close ZA (I was trying to debug my FTP client - easier to see if ZA is causing it if I shut it down), I lose complete access to my computer. If I attempt to open any program, even as mundane as notepad, I get the following message:

"windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

At this point, I cant even shut down windows so I have to hard reboot. However, my computer loads up and operates normally until I turn off ZA. Obviously, one would assume a trojan or something of the like, but I have Norton and McAffe running and I have run a couple of online trojan/virus detectors to no avail. Anyone have any advice?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: ZA seems to soley prevent take over of computer

Big time trouble from using two antivirus on any Windows OS. Even if you justify it by saying one is only resident and the other is ondemand- still you mess the Wiindows OS and it has it's issues! Just use one antivirus per machine.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

razorshine Guest

Thank you for the response. I will attempt to uninstall one of the antiviruses and see if that gets me anywhere.

Please uninstall both and use the recommended cleanup tools for both. Use a file/reg cleaner such as ccleaner after. Do a disk defreg and disk check. Do a system file check (sfc)and then after several reboots install the antivirus of your choice.

Symantec removal ( use after the uninstallation)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Rem...NRT_d4749.html

McAfee remover ( use after the uninstallation)

use the McAfee support and look for the uninstall of Mcafee and product and in the right side is the link for the cleanup tool

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

Need clarification: when users ask about trouble and they're usually told to run ANOTHER virus scan such as Ewido or a-squared, but NOT told to run those in safe mode, is the resident AV (such as one in ZASS) to be shut off? Or disconnect the computer and shut all the scanners off?
    Clearly, the helpers on the sites specializing in this sort of thing cannot possibly build a matrix of all the possibilities, but one sure would be useful. Sorry for jumping in, just can't see posting a separate issue, and it really belongs in here.

Hi zasuiteuser

Neither Ewido nor the Asquared will cause any conflict with the resident antivirus. These are safe to use with the antivirus on guard. Both are really antispy/antimalware scanners with excellent trojan and worm scanning and not an antivirus scanner. No conflict of the kernel layer drivers
    is there with the two and the antivirus.

Safe Mode with no networking is safe from the internet since the networking is not loaded. Any scanning or user activity in the safe mode without the networking is an isolated PC and not on line.

Only the antivirus scans from online sites should be done with the resident just temporarily disabled. Again just to prevent any conflicts of having two antivirus scans running, even though the online scanning is relatively benign in comparision to the resident antivirus.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

Thanks Oldsod, that's a very interesting distinction. I'm glad I asked. You know, it would be cool to write up something along these lines, elaborate, and have it up top there with the other yellow stickies to be read by all.Normally when I suspect something, I just go all the way into safe mode, which with just 11 key services running, I figure cleanup will be easier. But it's good to know that at least those two can be used in the normal mode for whatever that's worth. Not having had much luck with the on-line scanners (ah! here's where the disabling comes in), I couldn't being to ask questions, and anyway, this is not my thread, and the darn ZASS does such a good job, there's nothing to clean, ever and I don't get the practice nor the understanding

thenavigatorr Guest

Default Re: ZA seems to soley prevent take over of computer - Solution

i dont know if u could salve ur problem, but may be others who got the same promlem,couldnt.first of all, i got the same problem. I have zonealarm internet security (antivirus and firewall) which cause problem. (on windows)when my system working properly i wanted tochange some access permission on zonealarm on "program control / programs" tab. i had changed some windows defaultprograms permission (svchost, Isaas , services etc.). and after my changes i couldnt open any program (even notepad). i (still)dont knowwhichwindows program cause this problem but ideleted all permissions on "program control / programs" tab and then when i tried to run a program , zone ask me again for permissions and i could orgonize again by giving some accesspermissions. and now my system is ok.i hope it helps... good luck..

zaswing Guest

Default Re: ZA seems to soley prevent take over of computer - Solution

Hi TheNavigatorZASS works well and this thread is about ZA free Regardless, the very three programs you mentioned (svchost, Isaas , services ) MUST be permitted to work. If you shut them off somehow outside ZA, you'r computer couldn't function. So it is not ZASS issue. Permit them internet access but ONLY IN THE TRUSTED ZONE. Actually Generic process is the only one I think I permit. If in doubt, don't block, put a question mark in the cell and when ZASS asks you what to do, do and read the Smart Advisor, which in this instance has information. Hope this helps. In the ZASS manual or Help in the upper hand corner, if you persist in finding it, ZA lists few processes to allow. Hope this helps you some

Thread Information