Thread: Wi-Fi

stumpys Guest

Default Wi-Fi

Since I have wireless networking, shouls I buy Internet Security Suites, or just go with Zone Pro?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: Wi-Fi

Both have automatic Wi-Fi detection feature. Therefore which one you should get depends on whether you need an AV and IMSecure Pro. These two features are not found in ZA Pro.

stumpys Guest

Well, I did go ahead and buy (2)Zone Security Suites for both computersand installed in last night. My main computer is directly hooked to the wireless router, but the other is wireless pci card. I'm new to this wireless stuff, and it scares the **bleep** out of me that someone will break into it. On setup... I set it up as file sharing so i can use one printer. Is this secure enough?

No. "WiFi security" is an oxymoron. You need to ensure you make use of the security features that Wi-Fi has available.

There are several options:-
    1. SSID<blockquote>You need to give your network a unique name (SSID). This can be whatever you choose but should not be the default provided by your router. When there are multiple Wi-Fi networks available (eg like shopping centres, airport lounges, local neighbourhoods) the SSID tells your computer which network you want to be connected to.</blockquote>
    2. WAP key<blockquote>Ensure you have a WAP key installed in your router. This can be either a 5 or 12 digit key (password) that encrypts communications between the wireless devices. You need to put the WAP key into your wireless card as well. Without it, anyone with a packet sniffer can capture your Wi-Fi communications and read them.
    3. MAC address<blockquote>Each network enabled device has a unique hardware address called a MAC address. You can enter the MAC addresses of all authorised devices into your router so it will only accept data from those devices. Note that unlike the hardware address in a mobile phone (the IMEI number), some network cards do allow you to change (spoof) the MAC address so its not foolproof. Hence the need for a WAP key so snoopers can't get an authorised MAC address and use it themselves. Be aware though that you will need to input the MAC address of EVERY device that is connected to your network including the PC that you use to configure the router. Without it and with MAC address fitering enabled, your PC will no longer be able to contact your router which will then need to be reset.</blockquote>
    4. Broadcast<blockquote>Some routers allow you to suppress broadcasting of the SSID. Enable this if available so people in your neighbourhood can't scan the airwaves and detect the presence of your network. They need the SSID in order to connect and if they don't know it they can't connect</blockquote>
    5. WPA<blockquote>This superceeds WEP and is the best way to secure your home network. Unfortunately my router is not WPA enabled and i have no experience with it. For information on instaling WPA CLICK HERE</blockquote>

A brief expalantion can be found HERE but make sure you consult your router's manual. Post back here if youstil have any problems or questions.

Thread Information