Thread: Too many programs appearring on ZA Programs list

Hybrid View

wahuwa Guest

Default Too many programs appearring on ZA Programs list

Suddenly any program that runs is appearing on the ZA programs list & it's automatically giving some of them internet and server rights:
    Notepad
    Wordpad
    Windows NT Logon
    services.exe
    Userinit Logon Application
    etc., etc.

I've been using ZA for years and never had this happen with any other version before.

I've scanned my system with Spybot S&D, Ad-aware, Windows Defender, Ewido, Trojan Hunter, Avast, Housecall, Kaspersky's online scanner, Panda's Active Scan then the individual files that appear in ZA's programs list at Jotti and Virustotal. None of them found anything so I'm pretty sure I'm not infected or hijacked. Nothing unusual in HiJackThis log either.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Too many programs appearring on ZA Programs list

Those are actually part of Windows - the windows internal services and programs.

wahuwa Guest

Default Re: Too many programs appearing on ZA Programs list

<blockquote><hr>Jeruselem wrote:
    Those are actually part of Windows - the windows internal services and programs.
    <hr></blockquote>

I've been running ZA and Windows XP for years, why would those programs just all the sudden need internet access and/or server rights? Especially programs like notepad and wordpad. It doesn't make sense.

Seems to me if you're going to give anything and everything access and server rights just because it ask for them you might as well not run ZA and use the ICF firewall that came with Windows XP.

I don't mean to sound argumentative or insulting, I'm just trying to understand and learn.

Thanks again for your time and help,
    wahuwa

wahuwa Guest

Apparently ZA is going to list any program I run now: Paint, Doom, Avast's quickscan modeule - programs that have never needed and don't need internet or server rights.

Have already uninstalled & reinstalled several times.

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>wahuwa wrote:
    Apparently ZA is going to list any program I run now: Paint, Doom, Avast's quickscan modeule - programs that have never needed and don't need internet or server rights.

Have already uninstalled & reinstalled several times.
    <hr></blockquote>

Yes, ZA will add each program that your computer launches to the program control list. At least that is what it does for me, too. In most cases it will be all ? ? (ask). Some programs like MS Word, Office, etc. *may* default in ZA with a checkmark to the Internet, since those programs *can* access the internet IF you want them to. I occasionally look at the Program Control Panel and be sure that only ? ? are in those programs that I never want to access the Internet (or you can you can put a red "X" to block). I'm no expert, but I would think that the reason ZA adds all those other programs to the Program Control list is that some nefarious malware try to work by commandeering other programs and using them to carry out bad deeds on your computer itself and/or trying to access the Internet. By placing them in Program Control, ZA gives you a chance to "fine tune" those programs to prevent any malware from taking it over or changing the executable, since I think ZA remembers the hash number for programs and components (if you have component control enabled). For instance, if you launch your paint program the first time, ZA will not know that it is you launching it versus some malware launching it, so it puts it in Program Control; but hopefully it will give it no rights, only ? ?. The first time I ran Notepad after installing ZA, Notepad was added to my list with 6 question marks straight across. The first time I ran my CD-burner, ZA added that executable program to its list, again with 6 question marks. Even when you defrag your disk with Windows defrag, ZA will add the defrag program to your ZA program list (again with 6 checkmarks). Check your Progam Control list frequently to see what all ZA has put in there and to see if the permissions suit your purpose. For me, I only have 3 programs with any internet access. This will vary from person to person depending on how they use the internet and with what programs.

If you later want to "reset" and start over with the programs in your Program Control list (as well as all your other security/privacy settings), you can easily reconfigure them all over again starting with a minimum number by resetting your database. Search the forums for "reset" and "database", and you will see lots of posts on how to do that; it's much easier than a complete re-install. After that, the next time you start ZA, there will be the minimum baseline number of programs in the List with the default settings; ZA will recognize that you have a New Network again, etc, and your privacy settings will be erased and fresh. You may have to manually add your Loopback Adapter back into the Trusted Zone of your Firewall panel (this is a default on an install, but on a "reset" I have to put it in manually). I'm no guru or expert, but have used ZA personally a long time, and since you keep wondering about all the apparently extraneous programs being added, I thought I'd share my observations. Your mileage may vary Good luck!

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 09-18-2006 04:13 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 09-18-2006 04:14 PM

wahuwa Guest

Critterjoe,

Thanks for the response.

What you say makes sense but I've never seen ZA act this way before & I've been using it for about 5-6 years. What's most troubling though is that ZA will at times automatically give whatever program internet/server rights but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why ZA chooses which programs it allows or doesn't allow. If I didn't know better I'd say I'm infected, hijacked or something but I every scan do comes up clean. I also scanned with Sysinternals Rootkit Revealer which found no descrepencies & then I installed TCPView (also by Sysinternals) and it shows nothing strange calling out either (Interesting note: I did learn that Generic Host Process for Win32 Services - svchost.exe does not need server rights in the trusted zone as many here on this board claim - I've denied it any server rights at all and so far there's been no ill effects or maybe ZA is really not blocking it?).

I have another strange thing going on to add to my list of odd behavior: Starting yesterday when the computer finishes booting or is restarted the internet lock is always engaged. I have it set as follows: Automatic lock set to off. Lock when screensaver activates. When lock engages set to block all internet access. Wonder what is engaging the lock?

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to nuke & repave. The thing is though that if I repartition, reformat & reinstall the OS should I reinstall ZA or get a new firewall? All this weird behavior has sort of planted a seed of doubt in my mind about ZA's effectiveness.

Thanks again for your response,

wahuwa

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi, Welcome to the Forum!The following threads will hopefully answer your questions, if not PLEASE post back, THANKS. http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=7556

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...id=6126#M39082

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

8. Default Re: Too many programs appearring on ZA Programs list

But why should programs like notepad, wordpad or windows explorer ever need internet or server rights? They work fine without any type of internet/network connection. How/why would those programs ask for internet/server rights and why did ZA take it upon itself to grant those programs access rights anyway?

thanks again,
    wahuwa

I didn't use ZA 5.X firewalls,but in 6.X they must havechanged thingsso all programs including all Windows internal servicescan be controlled in theOS filewall.

Thread Information