Thread: what do I do now?

Hybrid View

advocate Guest

Default what do I do now?

Hello,
    I'be been to a site called Shields Up! and have a report stating that my port numbers 80 and 443 are open, evidently leaving me vulnerable to hackers.
    The test for file sharing was OK.
    So, how do I rectify this situation?
    I'm a bit of a dullard with technical matters, but I use my PC for research, and want to keep it as safe as possible.
    Thanks in advance......

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: what do I do now?

There are two probable causes for that:1 You are behind a NAT router or modem and it's the harware device that is scanned and not your computer.You may check this in a simple way: run the shields up test and take note of the ip that is scanned.Than hit start-run-cmd-ok and in the command window type ipconfig and see what is your computer ip. If it's different from the one shields up scanned you know that it is the hardware device that is scanned.2 You gave internet server rights to a one or more programs.Go to your list of programs in program control and see if in the column server internet there are any green tick.Best regards

tony_a Guest

Default Re: what do I do now?

Ports 80 and 443 are commonly used by your browser, and some other programs. They're nearly always 'open' when something else is running. Get an application such as 'Essential Net Tools' from Tamosoft (do a google search) to keep track of all your communications.

Thread Information