Thread: Wireless network security

verbyl_belch Guest

Default Wireless network security

Hi

I have used ZA for years on a wired LAN network, with the network itself classed as "trusted" and then the internet as "internet". I have now got a wireless network set up at home and the only way i can share files is to put the network into the "trusted" zone. My concern is how well protected am i? Since it's the same network that connects to the internet...

Thank you

VB

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.x

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Wireless network security

Can you detail how your network is seted up,do you connect the internet through a router or a modem with NAT or do you have ICS (in this case adhoc)? It's important as in wireless, security starts mainly in the device providing the LAN (if used a router or a NAT modem).Best regards

The private network or the LAN should be trusted, not internet. This is normal for the users. It is not the same network that connects to the internet. All private addresses are internet addresses, so any party interested in calling the LAN address is dropped by the router's NAT. Only the public address is recognized by the router and the call is only allowed if the the call went out first, not second.

WiFi security starts with encryption, MAC ed addresses, strong passwords and WEP enabled wireless routers. Look in the Off Topic section of the forum- I posted a pile of info on networking, routers, wifi security and internet. Spend several days to read them or just pick the ones that are of interest.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

We bump heads again! Take care Ad-Hock.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ad_hock Guest

Yes it seems so. Take care you also Oldsod.AD

The presence of the wireless link makes no difference to your network. Its just that a radio link replaces the Cat 5 cable. So in that respect there is no difference to your previous network. The security risk come from the wireless link. I've posted a brief guide to wirelss security which may help. This should give you some idea about securing your wireless link.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=16375#M16375.

Nice one

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information