Thread: ^_^ Wi-Fi ,Help ^_^

kountryslud Guest

Default ^_^ Wi-Fi ,Help ^_^

Hey, y'all.
    i travel quite abit, and always on mah laptop, with Zonealarm Security Suite on of course. When i use "open" public wi-fi networks, **bleep** as hotel's, restaurant's, etc... is it safe to log in to do mah banking stuffs, buying things on ebay, etc..??? can someone steal mah passwords and things? please help...Thanks, y'all. Bayyy

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: ^_^ Wi-Fi ,Help ^_^

Open wi-fi networks tend not be as secure as corporate ones. It depends if the wi-fi traffic is encrypted or not from the router.

ad_hock Guest

In addition to the comment of SC Jeruselem did that's quite correct I suggest you take a look at this post from Guru FrereOP that it's very adequate for people who travels a lot and use hot spots. I would just add that when using those hot spots ZA should detectet the network.Ensure you putit in internet zone.Best regards

Public Wi-Fi access points don't use encrypted communications so they are open to all sorts of snooping. Unlike a wired connection which is a point-to-point connection between two network cards, Wi-Fi is broadcast from a Wi-Fi enabled network card to EVERY Wi-Fi network card in the vicinity (up to 100 metres). Anyone with a Wi-Fi network card in their PC and packet sniffer software can capture and read all of your unencrypted communications.

In general the rule is, don't use public Wi-Fi access points for anything you are not prepared to have plastered over the front page of the New York Times tomorrow. The exception is if web pages use encrypted links. This is the case where the login screens to sites like Internet banking have an address that begins with https:// and a lock appears on your web browser. It is then safe.

Note, sites like http://forum.zonelabs.org do not use encrypted links for login. Hence, login information is broadcast as plain text.

Thread Information