Thread: Zonealarm last to load at windows startup, so what is protecting computer meanwhile ?

jtbalogh Guest

Default Zonealarm last to load at windows startup, so what is protecting computer meanwhile ?

Zonealarm (free) is one of the
    last to load programs at windows startup, so
    what is protecting the
    computer meanwhile ?
    Running Win2k. Even old versions version of zonealarm had this problem, I noticed this
    for over a year,
    which got worse as zonealarm became a bigger
    and bigger utility. I tried different computers, reinstall windows, change what programs are loading, etc. I left zonealarm in registry to run or tried to manually run as an icon in
    startmenu startup folder.

I know windows does not have a
    setup rule when prorgams load and which order, but it does concern me. I know that during startup all programs are delayed, but little keyloggers, viruses, programs to be blocked, etc
    still have a slight chance to
    get through.

Maybe if zonealarm had two files, one that is much much smaller
    which gives it a
    chance to load almost immediately at startup. Then the main zonealarm which finally runs takes over and shuts down the first file. The little file, all it does is disable all network connections for safety at startup.

Thanks.

Joe

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Zonealarm last to load at windows startup, so what is protecting computer meanwhile ?

The True Vector runs as a Service and loads at boot-up and protects your PC from then on. The ZA client loads after you log in to your account. Your computer is still protected before it appears.

jtbalogh Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm last to load at windows startup, so what is protecting computer meanwhile ?

Thank you for your suggestion that
    truevector runs earlier, but it is also late. I tested it and zonealarm does not protect at startup. I use automatic login so the delay you are infering to allow
    truevector to run before logging in would not work in my case. For example,
    1. I used zonealarm to block internet explorer2. I put an internet explorer shortcut in startup folder to go to some website3. I put another internet explorer shortcut in startup folder to go download a file4. Reboot the computer.5. Logs in automatically6. Webpage and file is downloaded7. Truevector splash window opens8. Zonealarm is loaded9. Opening internet explorer again is blocked
    Result is both the website and file downloaded ok. By the time truevector and zonealarm came up, only then was internet explorer blocked. The comptuer is 4ghz so fast but I am loading antivirus, spyware, zonealarm, ati video drivers, a few others
    which slow things down for poor zonealarm. Zonealarm is such a big program, I can see why it does not load fast. Any other ideas?

jtbalogh Guest

The second time I tested, the webpages were blocked at startup so truevector did have to time to run now first. I guess it is hit or miss. I will keep testing.

Services start when the computer is switched on - ie when the OS boots. Hence, the True-Vector service is providing firewall protection even if you are not logged into a Windows user account.

The Zone Alarm clients (Zone Alarm, IMsecure etc) are separate pieces of software that start when you log in to your Windows user account. You can even shut them down butleave the True-Vector running and still be protected.

jtbalogh Guest

Thank you for checking. That is good news.

mainnerd Guest

If ZoneAlarm works as you describe how was/is WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) able to "call home"?
    I told ZoneAlarm to block it.
    Thank you.

Thread Information