Thread: Question on trojans

yellowme Guest

Default Question on trojans

Hello,
    I wonder if someone could give me advice... I just had a notice from my anti virus program, that it had discovered a trojan which came through the back door, it seems to have been associated with real player. This notice arose when I reopened my computer after having put it on standby for a time. What happened, I didn't download any updates, and doesn't zone alarm stop things downloading by themself? Do I need to have another something on my computer? I am also on a private network which does have it's own firwall too.

thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

Default Re: Question on trojans

Hello yellowme and welcome to the forum. The paid versions of ZoneAlarm contain an Operating System firewall that monitor program installation and/or registry changes. It also prevents any type of malware from damaging your files. I would suggest that you run an online scan from www.ewido.net to remove this malware from your system if you haven't already done so. I would advise running a good anti-spyware program in addition to your ZA firewall and your anti-virus. Good luck and please post back on your results.

NNard

Real Player has had problems before with trojans and spyware and unwanted site connections. If the Real Player has been given server rights, these should be changed to Ask or Deny. Also the Internet access can be set to Ask. At least this way there is some user control over the actions of the Real Player connections.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

yellowme Guest

Thanks for the help,
    I went to Zone Alarm and changed the settings to ask for real player, I guess that will help a lot, Oldsod helped me with that, and yes, NNard I went to one of the online scans for trojans suggested on this website trojanscan.com which just detected three tracking cookies. I was able to remove them, and a couple in addition this morning when I did an Ad-Aware scan. As for the suspected trojan, my AVG was the thing that originally detected it and fixed it straight away so I suppose that's why the online scan didn't pick it up. I did chose to do the complete scan just in case, so I feel satisfied it worked now. Thanks again for your help. I will plan to get a proper paid version soon though, I like to be careful about all this stuff.

Yellowme

You are welcome Yellowme and I am glad that everything worked out for you. May I recommend that you trial AVG anti-spyware (formerly Ewido which Grisoft acquired) for a fully functional 30 day trial.

NNard

Thread Information