Thread: Malicious pop ups

grumpyoldman Guest

Default Malicious pop ups

Hi,

Your advice would be appreciated. I just had one of those dialogue boxes that appear normally telling you you have an infection and you need their programme to clear it, this one was particularly nasty telling me I was visiting adult sites and needed to install this programme to cover my tracks!
    Yes I know what you re wondering, sorry to disappoint but I was looking for a holiday cottage near Hastings!

It claimed to be part of windows suggesting it just needed switching on. Normally if you X out this type of
    box it returns. So I usually X out explorer on the top right to close the browser.

This one had disabled that X so I tried ctrl/alt/del and end programme. Still no luck, then my stupid gene kicked in and I clicked the X on the box, D oh! the My Computer screen appears with a download bar running!

I hit the button on the computer and thankfully it shut down, have done byte-level virus and deep inspection spyware scan, all seems ok, I may also do a system restore to a point a couple of days ago as belt and braces.

Can I ask what is the best way to deal with a situation like this, as when you re in a panic ain t the best time to decide.

I m running ZA suite Version 6.1.744.001 pop up blocker is off as they can affect some sites and I don t normally mind the odd pop up.

Many thanks for any help.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: Malicious pop ups

Using the "Close" (or Atl+F4) option of the Tab (after clicking the tab in the tray) in the in the task tray is one way. Some have an icon in the upper left corner to enable close.

Some are actually embedded in the page itself, thus the only way to escape it is to change the page or the site completely. So they are not a popup, but just are made to look like one instead, to fool us users.

Using the popup blocker of the browser, just set at "block unwanted popups" instead of "block all popups". This will stop some of these, but not all of these.

Some are dependant on the javascripts, so disabling this can stop this. Then when the javascripts are needed, just enable it in the browser and refresh the page.

As a general rule, I browse in plain text. No java, javascripts, cookies, referer, poups, GIF, sounds, plugins, ActiveX or VBS. Then, when I need a login or search engine or site extras or features, I just enable some of these and refresh the page. You may find the new IE7 or the FireFox or Opera browsers may provide easier changeovers for these privacy/security settings..

FireFox has NoScripts addon (disable and set the sites for javascripts very easily) and AdBlock addon (block and set for the sites). These can be effective in preventing these intrusions that you just experienced.

The Opera has this builtin with an additional Privacy setting builtin the right click of the viewed page.

Both browsers have the facility to use an adblock custom style sheets (adblock.css) as well.

Another solution is to use a blocking Host File. These freeware lists block ad sites and malware sites (trojan, spware and tracking sites). Quite effective and easy to use.
    For some background info...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

For a recommended site that is great for first time user of host files...

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Maybe this helps answer your question.
    Oldsod

BTW There is IE-Spyad just for the Internet Explorer. This imports a large list of restricted sites into the IE.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/r...htm#IESPYAD_ZO

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-28-2006 01:54 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    Software Version:6.1
    Best regards.
    oldsod

grumpyoldman Guest

Default Re: Malicious pop ups

Many thanks for your advice Oldsod.Regards,Grumpyoldman.

Thread Information