Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOBBLDYGOOK FINANCIAL E-MAILS

thedalek Guest

Default GOBBLDYGOOK FINANCIAL E-MAILS

I receive daily e-mails inviting me to watch a stock or share prices. The text is multi-coloured followed by jibberish text in black, viz:-

"We Adults salute a spinalsly hey. Discovered or appears sidestep current is Spreading Asia.
    Cocos Keeling in Columbia Comoros Congo Cook Costa!
    Catalxe ca xbxfxedx cn xexadxedx zh xcesky a cs Dansk? Ion c sir Paul former of wife is Mills agreed ceasefire.
    Awareness dangers Treaty Europe Fight patents petitions patents Dmca. Likewise nationwide statistics is incidents or.
    Rafaels failures problems.
    Dealing or global warming when am countries th."

I action 'block sender' but they keep coming, sometimes 2 or 3 a day each time from a different e-mail address.
    Is there any thing I can do to stop them?.
    I am a novice when using spam filters and security level control.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: GOBBLDYGOOK FINANCIAL E-MAILS

Newsflash-<hr>New ZoneAlarm Suite Enters Beta Testing
    ARTICLE DATE:
    By
    Neil J. Rubenking

Today, CheckPoint Software launched a public beta for version 7 of the popular ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite.

This version's antivirus component is powered by Kaspersky Labs (previously the suite used an antivirus engine from Computer Associates). According to CheckPoint, Kaspersky's hourly signature releases &quot;ensure that users have the industry's most rapid protection against emerging attacks.&quot; The new AV engine will catch more and more varied threats, yet signature updates remain small.

We've run version 6.5 of the ZoneAlarm suite through the PC Magazine wringer. Click here to see how it did in 'Security Suite Smackdown, Part 1' by Sean Carroll, dated 10-17-06 - http://www.pcmag.com/print_article2/...=180647,00.asp

The OSFirewall behavior-based protection, introduced in version 6, gains additional malware-mashing power. ZAISS's SmartDefense Advisor feature automatically configures program control for hundreds of thousands of known applications. A pre-install system scan automatically configures access for known programs present on the system.

By default ZAISS now starts in Learning Mode, which further cuts back on firewall confirmation popups. CheckPoint also states that the antispyware protection is more robust and &quot;provides an additional layer of defense against blended threats.&quot;

Version 6.5 introduced a collection of local and Web-based features for Identity Theft Protection version 7 will add more power and flexibility to the Web-based features. The beta testing phase should go on for 4 to 7 weeks, with final release planned before the end of this year. The price is expected to remain at $69.95.<hr>Additional notes- If you would like to see what your fellow ZA forum
    regulars
    have to say about the news you can click on this link -

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=14027
    and if you want to add any comments yourself, it's your choice.<hr>

Sorry- the real reply/answer to 'gobbldygook financial e-mails' is next message below. NaiveMelody NYC 11-19-06~10:22pm e.s.t. - Who feelin' it - Tom Tom Club

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 11-19-200607:21 PM

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 11-19-200607:22 PM

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    Software Version:

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 11-20-200606:21 PM

thedalek Guest

Thanks for advice.
    :8}
    Will go to sites recommended.
    At present I use Zone Labs free firewall, AVG free virus checker, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spyware Blaster and Spybot Search &amp; Destroy. I don't fully understand all the options, security level settings etc so I will make time to study their 'help' content and make the recommended adjustments.
    Regards, John

LOL

I get a few of these occasionaly myself- less and less now that I just keep the spam box trained for these. They include "gobblygook" about politic, financial, university or college or religion. So far no attachments and after the provider scanned them, I scanned them they have all come clean. I suppose the biggest worry is that they they have a webbug- open the email and the "webbug" is activated and then transmits your IP to the sender. I usually set the rogue server address into the block list of the ProtoWall, but blocking it in the ZA or router will do the same effect (even though that may not count for much). Slowly the email client's antispam gets trained amd they are slowly disappearing.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

thedalek Guest

Thanks once again oldsod. ( you were helpful re malicious pop-ups). Will spend some time investigating options and hone my skills!X-(

United States:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/online/inbox.htm

UK ( I use this one to get info):

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/

Canadian:

http://www.canada.com/aboutus/help/topic_em_03.html

Googling spam and use other words in the google search will help. Also google BBLDNS or BLDNS or BBDNS or BLservers. Something to the effect of blackilisted servers or blacklisted dns or blacklisted mail servers or black balled. And also use blacklisted IRC or mIRC servers. There is the cruel and foreign and alien land of illegal servers and how providers and network attempt to block them out. Plus hackers use these bad servers as part of their illegal networking to carry out their evil exploits! You will learn that most of the internet traffic is just email amd most of the emails sent are just spam!

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-13-2006 12:47 PM

Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Best regards.
    oldsod

thedalek Guest

Mucho Gracias,The Dalek....old Dr Who episodes on BBC 4 tonight:...smileyvery-happy:

Your welcome.

They still air the old B&W episodes? I have not seen those since the Sixties.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

thedalek Guest

....they are in colour.. part of BBC
    4 Scifi Week...:robotvery-happy:

Now back to serious forum matters.
    At the risk of upsetting Zone Lab supporters, I , being on ntl broadband internet, have been recently encouraged to download their own virus protection/ firewall
    NETGUARD.
    Do you or anyone else know if it is OK?.

Can it be run in addtion to my existing Zone Lab free firewall/AVG free virus protection etc?

Any comments would be welcome. Thanks

Hi

If you are on cable, then use a router as first defense against intrusions. Hackers have a hard time beating the simple and cheap SPI/NAT routers and malware running freely on the internet cannot penetrate a router.

First, if your a laptop user who leaves the ntl region, you will probably not get antivirus updates while away from home. The AVG will update no matter where you go. If the machine is a desktop, then this is not an issue.

Personally, JMHO, I avoid all security suites. I avoid all proprietary software from the all providers. Less software installed from others is the better. Usually if a provider gives the free security it is not actually free- it is worked into the monthly billing and only sounds like they are now doing everybody a big favor.

Have you checked out the Netguard? Asked around on the forums at home? Are you unhappy with the ZAF and the AVG? Which one do you think is better? Do you know who actually makes the antivirus and firewall for Netguard? ( Wouldn't it be funny if ZA supplied the firewall and AVG supplied the antivirus and updates? )

Oldsod

BTW My provider gives out Norton Internet Suite for free.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-13-2006 08:19 PM

Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information