Thread: Further to my security issue, maybe someone can clear this up...

rancspeak Guest

Default Further to my security issue, maybe someone can clear this up...

I have minute on minute lots of these intrusions but now they're
    blocked by zonealarm.What are they?
    UDP
    protocol

no source ip

(destination ip)255.255.255.255:67

(direction) incoming

Had over sixteen occurences within minutes.What is this? If anyone can shed some light on this appreciated.,Thanks.

billc Guest

Default Re: Further to my security issue, maybe someone can clear this up...

Those are allbenign blocks most likely come from your router or modem if it does NAT. UDP is a protocol used by devices to see if you're there or for DNS. Are you on a LAN?

rancspeak Guest

I don't think so. I don't really know what LAN is though. I'm on a wireless modem broadband service. When I first link up it connects
    to the IP
    I can see this when I do an ipconfig/all when I first put the modem on. I've been trying to find out why this is and what it means.
    That's not my ISP's IP number.
    (I had another thread about this issue, but it looks as if OLDSOD has given up on me)

Message Edited by Rancspeak on 11-23-200602:11 AM

billc Guest

A LAN is a "local area network" usually meaning you're using a router to connect to other computers in your home/office and the internet. If you're only using one computer and it only connects to your modem then your modem does NAT ...network address translation. This should allow more than one computer to access the internet through your wireless modem at the same time. Your modem assigns your computer the IP 192.168.1.0.If you used another computer, the wireless modem would assign it IP 192.168.1.1 (or something similar). It is your modem that uses your "real" IP assigned by your ISP. The blocking you are seeing is very normal and nothing to worry about. Would I be correct in saying in your Zone Alarm Firewall > Zone panel, you have the IP there assigned to the Internet zone and not the Trusted zone?

rancspeak Guest

First of all, thanks for replying to this.
    The only thing in the Zonealarm Zones until recently was my USBNIC network adapter with my correct
    ip address.After using some p2p software, my connection went down and Zonealarm came up with the message that it had found a new network. This was the ip 192.168.1.0. It sets it automatically to internet in the zone. Even though I wanted to block this, it wouldn't allow me to block it.So now I have the usbnic network adapter with my ip address in the zone as trusted and the new network with its ip of 192.168.1.0 in the zone as internet.
    I'm using a wireless modem connected by usb cable to my pc. I have no other computers connected. I just use the computer to connect to my isp which is mynow.co.uk through the wireless modem they provided.
    I can get rid of the 192.168.1.0 ip from the zone if I do a ipconfig/release which then resets that to zero and leaves just my usbnic with my ip. Is this safe? It works fine thie way and I can go online etc without a problem. Why do i have to have the 192.168.1.0 ip at all?

Message Edited by Rancspeak on 11-23-200608:12 AM

billc Guest

If you can do all you want without that address in your Zones panel of Zone Alarm , then it will be fine to remove it..no damage done. But if Zone Alarm "see" it again, it will likely come back. Are you using a computer that can accept a wireless connection, like a laptop ?

You say your computer is wired to your wireless modem...where does the modem get it's signal? Perhaps like a cell phone?

rancspeak Guest

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I've posted variations of this message on other forums hoping to get a response but as I've said elsewhere there seems to be a real
    lack of experts who know about this kind of thing and so I've had very little feedback except mostly from here. So your help in getting this resolved for me is much appreciated... anyway ...
    to answer your question, Zonealarm won't let me remove
    the "new network" 192.168.1.0
    in the conventional way because it says "you can not delete an active network". I can, however, remove it by doing the ipconfig/release and then it vanishes from the
    zonealarm's ZONES.
    I have a wireless broadband modem connected to my pc by USB and I'm using Zonealarm suite. What happens is that my modem seems to look for this 192.168.1.0 when I first switch it on
    (ipconfig/all shows
    the 192.168.1.0 ip
    under Ethernet local area connection) and then once the modem has started up and the firewall is on I then connect in my usual way to my ISP so I end up with three things in the ZONES now: a usbnic network adapter ip, a loopback adapter ip and the new network 192.168.1.0.
    Is all this normal and NOT a security compromise?

If I do the ipconfig/release and get the ethernet local area connection to reset to 0.0.0.0 I can still go online. I've yet to find out why this is and what significance it has despite searching for days on the net.

Is 192.168.1.0 some sort of gateway router thingy (sorry but I don't know the techincal terms) that my wireless modem needs to connect to in order to get connected to my ISP?

Is it safe?

I have done many hackerwatch probes etc and nothing can get through. Apparently, my machine is secure because all the ports are invisible or something, but I'm still a little concerned about this 192.168.1.0 new network found by zonealarm, and is it safe to have 0.0.0.0 as the local area connection whilst my isp is correctlt connected via the usb modem with the proper ip? It's confusing.
    Maybe all this is perfectly normal for a wireless modem and it's just zonealarums giving me the heeby jeebies.

Message Edited by Rancspeak on 11-24-200602:23 PM

billc Guest

Yes, it is perfectly normal and you are safe. As you quite correctly put it, this 192.168.1.0 is some sort of gateway router thingy. I'm quite familiar with "thingy's" as the universal word for some technical term.

The broadband wireless modem needs to assign an IP to the computer such that if you indeed had another computer working wirelessly, the modem could tell the two apart. Make sense?

Let me promise you this is not a security risk and you need not worry about it.

rancspeak Guest

Thanks for this reassurance. I was coming to the conclusion anyway that Zonealarums was just giving me the jeebies. Did lots of hacker probe checks etc and everything does
    appear secure.
    Glad it's cleared up. Thanks.

Thread Information