Thread: Stealth ability is not working

fiberoptik Guest

Default Stealth ability is not working

Hi, i'm using the trial version (last one, downloaded yesterday) of ZoneAlarm Pro and i'm surprised that it failed the port scan test. I have port 21, 25, 80 and 443 not stealthed. I know that ZA has options to close ports, but shouldn't it be automatic? This is strange, because i used ZA before, and i remember that it used to
    pass the test! I've recently tested other firewalls and they passed the test. What can be the cause?

I have both Internet Zone and Trusted Zone Security in High
    I'm using XP Professional SP2

Best regards

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

Message Edited by fiberoptik on 12-03-200607:26 AM

Message Edited by fiberoptik on 12-03-200609:26 AM

Message Edited by fiberoptik on 12-03-200609:27 AM

billc Guest

Default Re: Stealth ability is not working

Your probably behind a router or using a DSL modem that does NAT. In either case, the port scan is scanning the other hardware and not your ZAP firewall.

fiberoptik Guest

Hi Bill,thanks for the reply. Although your thought is correct, i don't have a router, i'm only using a cable modem (Arris). I'm just a little confused because it used to work, some months ago i used ZA Pro with perfect scan port tests. And as i wrote in my first post, with other firewalls the ports are all stealthed.Thanks once again.
    Best regards

Message Edited by fiberoptik on 12-03-200604:18 PM

billc Guest

I don't know if your Arris modem does NAT but my guess is it does. Their website says, "Simple Home Networking via Bridged USB & Ethernet ports" suggesting it does indeed do NAT ( network address translation). The other possibility is that you might have granted 'server' rights in programs in your Zone Alarm Pro Program control which are opening ports?

fiberoptik Guest

Hello Bill, once again thanks for your help.
    I think that magic has been done! Yesterday i re-tested my firewall and, i don't know why, it passed the test perfectly !!
    I did what you told me, i removed all server rights from all the programs which had them, and it did some diference, i had no more open ports, only some closed but not stealthed. Then i gave server rights to programs again (put it back the way it was), shut down computer and went to sleep.
    Next day, VOILA !
    Maybe a reboot was needed, i don't know...
    Well, the fact is that my connection is now secured.

Thanks for the support

Best regards

Message Edited by fiberoptik on 12-05-200612:46 AM

Thread Information