Thread: firewall settings

lmortiz Guest

Default firewall settings

Hi all,I was able to fix many of my ZASS problems by reading the boards, but there is one thing I can't figure out. my ZA firewall reads 0 blocked settings all of the time, yet it is set on medium. I went to network security on my comp. task bar and it doesn't even show the microsoft firewall. (I thought
    maybe it was still enabled, and would need to disable before enabling ZA)
    I did a clean install on my comp. a while back and have not updated sp2, so another firewall does not seem to be the issue, because I can't even seem to find it now after the clean install. My os is win xp. Dell dimension 3600. Any suggestions on why its not blocking anything? Is it possible my windows firewall could have moved to a different place, other than the control panel
    after the clean install? Also I do have a Linksys router, with VOIP for Vonage use, don't know if that affects anything, but don't have other puters routed to it.Thanks,Ray

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Message Edited by lmortiz on 12-04-200606:17 PM

Message Edited by lmortiz on 12-04-200606:17 PM

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: firewall settings

<blockquote><hr>lmortiz wrote:
    Hi all,I was able to fix many of my ZASS problems by reading the boards, but there is one thing I can't figure out. my ZA firewall reads 0 blocked settings all of the time, yet it is set on medium. I went to network security on my comp. task bar and it doesn't even show the microsoft firewall. (I thought maybe it was still enabled, and would need to disable before enabling ZA) I did a clean install on my comp. a while back and have not updated sp2, so another firewall does not seem to be the issue, because I can't even seem to find it now after the clean install. My os is win xp. Dell dimension 3600. Any suggestions on why its not blocking anything? Is it possible my windows firewall could have moved to a different place, other than the control panel after the clean install? Also I do have a Linksys router, with VOIP for Vonage use, don't know if that affects anything, but don't have other puters routed to it.</blockquote>

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by your firewall shows &quot;0 blocked settings.&quot; Did you actually mean &quot;access attempts&quot; or intrusions?? If I understand correctly, I think you are looking at the ZA Control Panel Overview page and it says &quot;O intrusions have been blocked&quot; and Firewall &quot;has blocked 0 access attempts&quot;. Since you are using a router, this is what most people with a router should see there. Your router is functioning and intercepting everything at the level of the router, which is keeping your computer hidden. If ZA was showing that it had caught access attempts, that would mean they got by the router. Before I had a router I had several thousand access attempts; when I got my router, it dropped to O. Is this what you were referring to?

You go on to say you have your firewall set to &quot;medium.&quot; The firewall consists of two zones: Internet zone and trusted zone. ZA defaults to Internet Zone set to &quot;High&quot; and Trusted Zone set to &quot;medium.&quot; For most people those are the baseline settings to use.

You say you &quot;have not updated SP2&quot;; does that mean when you are using SP1, or you are using SP2 but have not done the windows updates for it? SP2 has major security features that should be installed as well as several dozen security updates that have been released for SP2 over the last couple years. If you are not up to date on SP2 and subsequent Windows Updates, you are at increased risk for some major security flaws.

To access Windows Firewall, you can click on START&gt;Control Panel&gt;Windows Firewall. OR you can click START&gt;Control Panel&gt;Security Center and then click on Windows Firewall. I believe ZA defaults to turning OFF Windows Firewall at installation, or it may give you an option (it's been a while so I don't remember). You can check to see if ZA is configured to turn off Windows Firewall, by going to your ZA Control Panel. On the Left side choose and click on &quot;Firewall.&quot; Then at the bottom of the &quot;Main&quot; firewall page, there is a button called &quot;Advanced&quot;. Click on that, and a popup of ZA settings will show up; look under &quot;general settings&quot; and see if there is a checkmark in &quot;disable Windows Firewall.&quot; The reason you may be having trouble finding Windows Firewall on your PC is if you previously had SP2 and are now using SP1, SP2 doesn't have the same &quot;Security Center&quot; console. It all boils down to whether you have SP2 or not, and I'm not clear on that. SP1 referred to it as &quot;Internet Connection Firewall&quot; or something like that, then SP2 called it &quot;Windows Firewall&quot; and added a Control Panel to access it called &quot;Security Center.&quot; Windows Firewall can actually be accessed a third way in SP2: Start&gt;Run&gt;Control Panel&gt;Network Connections, then check the &quot;properties&quot; of your LAN by right-clicking it. In the popup box, one of the tabs (the second one I believe) will lead to Windows Firewall. So there are at least 3 ways in SP2 to check that it is disabled.

Post back if these answer your questions, or if I'm misunderstanding your use or non-use of SP2. In any case &quot;O blocked intrusions&quot; on ZA is good for people with a router. And you may want to check to see what your Internet Zone security level is set to; most will likely want &quot;High&quot; unless there is a specific reason not to, with &quot;Medium&quot; for the Trusted Zone.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-04-200605:53 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

lmortiz Guest

<center>Subscribe to this message's RSS FeedMark Message as NewMark Thread as NewMark Thread as ReadFloat this Message to the TopRemove this Thread FloatAdd This Message to My BookmarksAdd This Thread to My BookmarksAdd This Message to My SubscriptionsRemove This Thread from My SubscriptionsE-Mail this Message to a FriendPrinter Friendly PageReport Abuse to a Moderator</center><center>

Message Listing

Previous Message

Next Message

<a target="_blank"></a>

Re: firewall settings
    [ Edited ]
    Critterjoe
    Frequent Contributor

Reply 2 of 2

Viewed 30 times

<blockquote><hr>lmortiz wrote:
    Hi all,I was able to fix many of my ZASS problems by reading the boards, but there is one thing I can't figure out. my ZA firewall reads 0 blocked settings all of the time, yet it is set on medium. I went to network security on my comp. task bar and it doesn't even show the microsoft firewall. (I thought maybe it was still enabled, and would need to disable before enabling ZA) I did a clean install on my comp. a while back and have not updated sp2, so another firewall does not seem to be the issue, because I can't even seem to find it now after the clean install. My os is win xp. Dell dimension 3600. Any suggestions on why its not blocking anything? Is it possible my windows firewall could have moved to a different place, other than the control panel after the clean install? Also I do have a Linksys router, with VOIP for Vonage use, don't know if that affects anything, but don't have other puters routed to it.</blockquote>

Hi Joe, thank you for your speedy response,

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by your firewall shows &quot;0 blocked settings.&quot; Did you actually mean &quot;access attempts&quot; or intrusions?? If I understand correctly, I think you are looking at the ZA Control Panel Overview page and it says &quot;O intrusions have been blocked&quot; and Firewall &quot;has blocked 0 access attempts&quot;. Since you are using a router, this is what most people with a router should see there. Your router is functioning and intercepting everything at the level of the router, which is keeping your computer hidden. If ZA was showing that it had caught access attempts, that would mean they got by the router. Before I had a router I had several thousand access attempts; when I got my router, it dropped to O. Is this what you were referring to?

&gt;&gt;&gt;yes, that's it thank you!

You go on to say you have your firewall set to &quot;medium.&quot; The firewall consists of two zones: Internet zone and trusted zone. ZA defaults to Internet Zone set to &quot;High&quot; and Trusted Zone set to &quot;medium.&quot; For most people those are the baseline settings to use.

&gt;&gt;&gt;okay, did not realize that, had both on medium, so I will switch internet zone to high.
    You say you &quot;have not updated SP2&quot;; does that mean when you are using SP1, or you are using SP2 but have not done the windows updates for it? SP2 has major security features that should be installed as well as several dozen security updates that have been released for SP2 over the last couple years. If you are not up to date on SP2 and subsequent Windows Updates, you are at increased risk for some major security flaws.
    &gt;&gt;&gt;Okay, on this one, I have windows updates prompting me, it is not set on auto, I sometimes go to the update page, to see if I need to set one manually, or they prompt me to load, last time it was automatic and I received many updates I did not need, and after SP2 install some of my programs did not work and I seemed to have glitches I did not have before, so far I don't seem to have any problems, other than learning this new ZASS, lol. Have they patched a lot of the glitches by now?
    To access Windows Firewall, you can click on START&gt;Control Panel&gt;Windows Firewall. OR you can click START&gt;Control Panel&gt;Security Center and then click on Windows Firewall. I believe ZA defaults to turning OFF Windows Firewall at installation, or it may give you an option (it's been a while so I don't remember). You can check to see if ZA is configured to turn off Windows Firewall, by going to your ZA Control Panel. On the Left side choose and click on &quot;Firewall.&quot; Then at the bottom of the &quot;Main&quot; firewall page, there is a button called &quot;Advanced&quot;. Click on that, and a popup of ZA settings will show up; look under &quot;general settings&quot; and see if there is a checkmark in &quot;disable Windows Firewall.&quot; The reason you may be having trouble finding Windows Firewall on your PC is if you previously had SP2 and are now using SP1, SP2 doesn't have the same &quot;Security Center&quot; console. It all boils down to whether you have SP2 or not, and I'm not clear on that.

No, I do not at this point, sounds like I need to re-install it, that is why I couldn't find it like I normally do, thanks.
    SP1 referred to it as &quot;Internet Connection Firewall&quot; or something like that, then SP2 called it &quot;Windows Firewall&quot; and added a Control Panel to access it called &quot;Security Center.&quot; Windows Firewall can actually be accessed a third way in SP2: Start&gt;Run&gt;Control Panel&gt;Network Connections, then check the &quot;properties&quot; of your LAN by right-clicking it. In the popup box, one of the tabs (the second one I believe) will lead to Windows Firewall. So there are at least 3 ways in SP2 to check that it is disabled.

Post back if these answer your questions, or if I'm misunderstanding your use or non-use of SP2. In any case &quot;O blocked intrusions&quot; on ZA is good for people with a router. And you may want to check to see what your Internet Zone security level is set to; most will likely want &quot;High&quot; unless there is a specific reason not to, with &quot;Medium&quot; for the Trusted Zone.

Can't thank you enough, thank you for your thorough answers to my questions, and taking the time to do so, if you don't mind posting one
    more time about the SP2 issue, I appreciate it. Should I change settings to automatic updates, or load it manually from microsoft site. Is there something
    I should uninstall or disable first? Thanks again!!!!

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-04-200605:53 PM

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:
    12-04-200607:58 PM

Report Abuse to a ModeratorMark Message as NewAdd This Message to My BookmarksAdd This Message to My SubscriptionsSubscribe to this message's RSS FeedHighlight This MessagePrint This MessagePrint to End (Max 50)E-Mail this Message to a FriendReport Abuse to a Moderator

Message Listing

Previous Thread

Next Thread

<a target="_blank"></a>
    SUBJECTAUTHORDATE/TIME

firewall </center>

critterjoe Guest

It is recommended that people using Win XP should upgrade to SP2. SP2 is much more secure than SP1, plus there have been many updates to SP2 over the last couple years for known major security flaws even in it, so people should also keep their Windows Updates up to date monthly. Windows Updates also does a monthly scan of your PC for malware through an update called Malicous Software Removal Tool, which runs automatically at the time of the update (you don't have to do anything to configure that). For the vast majority of people who are average computer users, Windows Updates can be set to automatically download and install each month; i.e., they can set it and forget about it. For me, I like to know what is being installed and what security defects it corrected, so I have mine set to &quot;notify&quot; me of available updates each month, and then I choose when to download them and install them. There is also a choice to automatically download but not install until you're ready. The remaining alternative is to go to the Windows Updates website, let it scan your computer, and manually download all the updates it says you need; either letting it select the most critical ones to download, download them all, or you can select which updates you want. Be aware that since SP2 came out, there have been maybe 30-40 or more updates to SP2, so people using SP1 are really behind. MS Office products also have exposed some security flaws that have been corrected in recent critical updates to MS Word, Office, etc. These are available from either the official Office Updates site or the official Microsoft Updates site. If you do all this, it will certainly help harden your computer against attacks.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-05-200605:20 PM

lmortiz Guest

THANKS JOE!!! This really helps to clear things up. Happy Holidays to you.

Thread Information