Thread: pyd files

philwill Guest

Default pyd files

Hi

new to the forum and Zonealarm. Not sure if this is the right forum for this issue?

In the windows/system32/zonelabs/lib folder there are 4 pyd extension files.

Are these bona fide ZA files?

thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: pyd files

I just looked and found 4 .pyd files exactly where you did. Until you posted your question, I'd never looked there. So my answer is Yes, they are valid.

philwill Guest

Thanks Bill

the reason i was asking is that i've been reviewing a new firewall (**bleep**)and it shows these pyd files as unknown, and they are the only components that are flagged in this way. All the other Zonelabs files are shown as OK.

these pyd files were installed the same date as the rest of the installation files for the version i'm running so they do look OK.

just curious really, dont like unknowns.

thanks for the rapid response

Phil
    wiltshire
    UK

billc Guest

I too was curious so I looked into it more. It turns out . pyd files are used in the Python Programming Language which up until now, I'd not even heard of it. From the Python.org website I found this:<hr>Python
    is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that can be used for many kinds of software development. It offers strong support for integration with other languages and tools, comes with extensive standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days. Many Python programmers report substantial productivity gains and feel the language encourages the development of higher quality, more maintainable code.<hr>I learn something here everyday.

philwill Guest

Hi Bill

thats what made me curious, i didn't know that Zonelabs used Python, and in fact i still dont know.

the other thing that occurred to me was that if you were trying to bypass firewall restrictions putting code into product sub libraries might be a good way of doing it.

Anyway i'd still like to get some positive confirmation from Zonelabs that these .pyd files are bona fide.

regards

Phil

billc Guest

I'm sure they are because I have them as well and my downloads come from Zone Labs. But if you like, contact Zone Labs Technical Support

Thread Information