Thread: svchost.exe

serteperte Guest

Default svchost.exe

hi!
    i have a problem with svchost.exe.this **bleep** generates a very high outgoing traffic. if i dont' touch the
    computer after 2 hours svchost.exe generates 100 mb traffic.the svchost is in the right place (system32), and the size is correct too. (14336 bytes)
    what do you think about this?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

drv Guest

Default Re: svchost.exe

I have the same problem, which was reported to Zone Alarm customer support. The reply was that they had "...never heard of this problem before", which was not of much help. However, I was able to use Outlook Express by disabling the Junk Email Filter in the email Protection folder. The result was that I have to delete all of the junk email manually.

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: svchost.exe

<blockquote><hr>serteperte wrote:
    hi!i have a problem with svchost.exe.this **bleep** generates a very high outgoing traffic. if i dont' touch the computer after 2 hours svchost.exe generates 100 mb traffic.the svchost is in the right place (system32), and the size is correct too. (14336 bytes)what do you think about this?
    <hr></blockquote>

In the Program Control List in ZA Control Panel, what permissions do you have assigned to &quot;Generic Host&quot; (svchost) ? The main thing to be sure of is that there is NOT a checkmark in the Internet Server column. You should have checkmarks in the trusted ACCESS and Internet ACCESS, and for many people a checkmark in the TRUSTED server column, but NOT in the Internet Server column (which should remain ? or a red X.) And a ? or Red X for &quot;send mail&quot; of course. For most people, NO program will ever need Internet Server permission, and very, very few will ever even need Trusted Server permission. How is your svchost configured for the entries on that line?

Also, what is your network like? Single/multiple PC's? Cable/DSL? Router? Wired/wireless?

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-13-200606:03 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Thread Information