Thread: Is this normal?

roark Guest

Default Is this normal?

If you hold your mouse over the little ZA icon in the lower right corner of your screen when it changes to red and green lights it will say "Traffic". I can understand this when actually on the internet but sometimes I frequently get the "Traffic" lighting up even when I am not on the internet and the computer is just sitting there with nothing open but Zone Alarm. Is this normal? And if not is it something to be concerned about or can anything be done about it? Do other ZA users also notice this? I do have a broadband connection and am also using a router if that provides needed information.

Thanks.

roark

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:5.x

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: Is this normal?

Hello roark, Yes this is normal activity since there are many normal Windows processes and update checking done by various trusted programs (Windows updates, Windows date and time updates, anti-virus and anti-spyware updates, ZA updates, etc.) that take place over your internet connection and this is probably the activity you are seeing. You can always check at any time in the ZA program under Program Control > Programs, to view the list of previously recognized programs, their ZA security settings, and whether or not they are actively trying to access the internet (look for the green activity dot to the left of each program and there are also icons for some of the most active programs in the upper right of the ZA menu). If you have a question about a ZA pop-up alert from a program wanting internet access or if you see suspicious activity from an unknown program you can always post a question about it in the messages and alerts section of this forum.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 12-21-2006 03:58 PM

LOL Windows is a talkative operating system.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Provided you have TCP/IP installed, your computer is on a network even if your computer is a stand alone machine at the time. You see, your computer has a number of IP addresses one of which is your own computer. This is called the "loopback adapter" and is given the address 127.0.0.1 - the same on every computer. So a program can address its own computer by using the loopback address.

Open a command prompt (Click Start/Run then type cmd in the box and click OK). At the MS-DOS prompt type:-

ping 127.0.0.1<ENTER>

and you will see the ZA icon spring into life as your computer asks itself if its network is alive.

Thread Information