Thread: Compatibility

dakota Guest

Default Compatibility

Would there be a problem with using a modem with firewall, router with firewall and zone alarm all at the same time? The modem is a ZyXEL Prestige 660 Series, the Router is a Linksys WRT54G. Would they have a conflict with each other?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: Compatibility

NO , you shouldn't have no type of conflicts with a router (hardware firewall) and the ZoneAlarm (software firewall).

dakota Guest

I do know that, but what about the 2 hardware firewalls running at the same time?

flyyourway Guest

NO again.I run a Modem with a nat type firewall and then run thru 2 routers which each have a built in Hardware firewall and never see any conflicts.

dakota Guest

Okay, guess I will not worry about it.

The hardware firewalls all do the same thing - protect you against unsolicited inbound traffic. Becuase they do this sequentially there is no conflict. ZA provides a software firewall which protects against inbound traffic at your computer and outbound s well.

Hence, there is no conflict between any of the firewalls. You will get conflict if you run 2 software firewalls so that's one thing you should never do.

dakota Guest

Well, for what it is worth, I bridged the firewall in the modem and I am now in Stealth mode.

Thread Information