Thread: Router with or without software firewall?

mistahman Guest

Default Router with or without software firewall?

Good day all,

I'm a bit confused about this issue. I hear some people say that a router is sufficient firewall protection and that software firewall on top of that might cause problems. Then I hear other people say hardware firewall isnt enough and that software firewall is also required. Which is it??

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Router with or without software firewall?

Hi!your router firewall (or router with NAT capability) will protect you only from unsolicited inbound connection (from the internet to your PC). Most software firewalls (e.g. ZA) will also protect you from unsolicited outbound connection (from your PC to the internet).That is basically the difference. So you need both of them for full protection/control.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 01-08-2007 04:58 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

But don't think for a moment that a software firewall is providing you with so much protection that you can become complacent.

Zone Alarm does a pretty good job but the vulnerabilities in Windows can easily circumvent the protection offered by a software firewall running on top of Windows. Hence, you still need to be vigilant and to not do stupid things like install software that you do not trust.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>FrereOP wrote:
    Zone Alarm does a pretty good job but the vulnerabilities in Windows can easily circumvent the protection offered by a software firewall running on top of Windows. Hence, you still need to be vigilant and to not do stupid things like install software that you do not trust.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep! I agree Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information