Thread: Unfortunately, still got hacked again

jacksoyr Guest

Default Unfortunately, still got hacked again

Don't blame Zonealarm. These guys are good at what they do. Somehow they took over Zonealarm and made it look like it was working when it wasn't. It even looked like I was receiving updates everyday. Felt something was wrong so I checked the logs and discovered about a 1000 files not being scanned. It read scan failed after each file.
    Another warning sign was when I clicked the more info button on blocked access attempts. It didn't work because it went to a link with a bunch of A's after it. I discovered the truth when I terminated Windows explorer, and went into safe mode. Clicked properties, security, and saw that
    Remote Access users
    now had
    full control permissions
    of windows.
    Don't know how they got in. I restarted out of safe mode, and Zone Alarm then said it was out of date for a long time.They probably installed a rootkit somehow. Had all the windows updates and updated ZA everyday. Wish someone could create a way to stop these guys.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Unfortunately, still got hacked again

Hi!How do you connect to the Internet? Do you have a router or direct connection?Well, in any case, you need to format you HD and start from zero.Install XP and update it with all patches (with XP firewall ON). Install ZASS 7, much stronger against trojan and worms as compared to 6.5. Than you can install some unconventional security tool, to make life difficult to intruders. For example, Prevx. See here: www.prevx.com(It is free up to first malware detection).Good luck.Fax

Message Edited by fax on 02-09-2007 07:48 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information