Thread: Need a quick rundown on safety of IntrAnet (192.168.x.x) vs IntErnet configuration

da_jokker Guest

Default Need a quick rundown on safety of IntrAnet (192.168.x.x) vs IntErnet configuration

I've added a wireless router and am in the process of configuring ZA. One thing I'm not clear on is this:
    I know that my home computer isn't going anywhere so adding an IP range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 is probably ok. My laptop is a different issue because I wonder around and the likely hood of landing on a 192.168 network is plausible. So I have 2 questions:
    1) If I tell ZA on my desktop computer to trust 192.168.1.1 and that IP address is my Linksys Router Gateway, aren't I opening up my computer to everything that comes across the internet? It all comes from the gateway so I can't just blindly trust that ip?
    2) If I want to give my Laptop access to another computer on my home network (eg File/Printer Sharing) but I'm running DHCP and I don't want to gamble on being at some starbucks or something and finding that IP 192.168.1.101 belongs to some hacker sitting next to me... how can I do this?

Thanks for any info.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Need a quick rundown on safety of IntrAnet (192.168.x.x) vs IntErnet configuration

1) it's a local address, not on the other side of the firewall so you should be OK. Your router (which router?) might tell you what your public address is, if you're curious.2) MAC address filtering, in my opinion, is the safe way to go. Just tell the router to permit only a list of computers which wireless section can address. Include your own laptop. And shut off SSID broadcast AFTER setting it all up.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 02-18-200704:32 PM

Edit: Look in here

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d.id=Off-Topic

Oldsod has provided a lot of excellent links, hard to stop reading them they're so good.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 02-18-200704:34 PM

Thread Information