Thread: How many blocked access attempts inbound is normal?

richkillick Guest

Default How many blocked access attempts inbound is normal?

I've got no less than 1,085,566 blocked attempts
    in last 3 weeks
    (overview screen) -
    a huge 7-digit number. It climbs at roughly 3/sec.Who has same problem? How many blocked attempts do you have specifically (seen in overview tab)?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: How many blocked access attempts inbound is normal?

3/s seems high but most of what you are seeing is what is called Internet Background Noise - traffic on the Internet that is legitimate and part of the fabric of the service. This can include packets sent by ISP's to test line quality, packets that confirm arrival of data, packets that Instant Messenger programs send to send instant messages to other computers and a whole lot of other necessary but hidden data exchanges.

Some could well be malicious attempts to gain access to your computer and these could include port scans (to find open ports) and attempts to communicate with malicious servers installed on your computer by malware.

Two things are important.<ul>[*]Firstly, these "blocked attempts" should be thought of as nothing more than "knocks at your computer's front door". See my post HERE for more information.</br>[*]Your computer is most likely connected directly to the Internet via a USB modem. Installing a router between your computer and the Internet will reduce these "blocked attempts" to zero. This will mean getting a new modem router but will be worth every cent, penny, peso, yen, rouble or drachma it costs.[/list]

richkillick Guest

Sounds normalish then - quite a relief. I've got NTL cable broadband not USB though.About a router - I could do with one of these to divide 1meg between 2 comps - are they efficient with bandwidth? And do
    routers draw on system resources, which could be problem with my 256 RAM?I think my inbound attempts are so frequent IE might work a bit zippier with router- is this fantasy?

A router is a computer in its own right - usually a LINUX box. All it does is form a "bridge" between your computer and the Internet.

As far as your own computer is concerned, it can't tell the difference between talking to a router and directly to the Internet. The only difference you will notice (apart from zero "Blocked Intrusions" except for those generated from your LAN) is your computer's IP address which will be supplied by your router from within a special range of addresses allocated exclusively for use by LAN's (Local Area Networks).

These addresses are invalid internet IP addresses and can't be directly addressed from outside so your computer is "hidden". Your router will now take up the IP address allocated by your ISP. This process is called Network Address Translation and allows multiple computers on a LAN to use a single IP address on the Internet via the router.

I think all you need to do is put a router between your PC and your modem. The router will have LAN and WAN (the Internet connection) ports marked on the back. Plug your existing network cable (which now goes to your modem) into one of the router's LAN ports (there are usually about 4) then connect the WAN port to the modem's LAN port and it should all happen.

To add other computers, just plug them into the other LAN ports and they will be on the Internet too. You do need to make sure you have set your network connections in WINDOWS or LINUX to obtain an IP address automatically which will probably be the default.

Thread Information