Thread: Suspicious Behavior using IE7

overview Guest

Default Suspicious Behavior using IE7

What is Internet Explorer 7 up to since my ZAS Ver 6.5737.000
    continually comes up with this message "Internet Explorer is attempting
    to monitor user activity on this computer.If allowed it may try to track
    or log Keystrokes(user input),mouse movements/clicks.websites visited &
    other user behaviors". The module is iexplore.exe
    If you tick "Apply this setting to all suspicious behaviors...." and the "Allow
    box" ZAS still insists on pestering with this message.
    Is there a security issue here? If not how do I turn it off.
    Using Windows XP SP2 Media Center Edition.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Suspicious Behavior using IE7

Hi!probably your ZA database (where all ZA settings are stored) is corrupted and you may need to reset it.However, before resetting it. Try the following:1. Close IE2. Go to the ZA program control --> programs --> browse and find internet explorer --> right click on it and --> remove it3. Now open IE, let ZA recreate the IE entry and answer "allow" and "remember" again.Does it remember it this time?If not, please follow this instruction to refresh you ZA database (you will loose all your ZA settings)http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...rruptlogs.htmlFax

Message Edited by fax on 05-14-2007 03:22 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

overview Guest

I have tried the first part and it does not remember.What it did was to put "Smart defense" into auto mode, "Trust Level" now has
    "?" marks,"Access" has two ticks and the rest all have "?" marks.The problem remains.
    This computer has multi user accounts on it.The problem also comes up when switching (without logging off) from one user to another.The message appears on the screen as soon as you switch
    to another
    user, even before IE7 starts up!I will next try your remaining suggestion.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Overview wrote:
    I have tried the first part and it does not remember.What it did was to put "Smart defense" into auto mode, "Trust Level" now has "?" marks,"Access" has two ticks and the rest all have "?" marks.The problem remains.This computer has multi user accounts on it.The problem also comes up when switching (without logging off) from one user to another.The message appears on the screen as soon as you switchto anotheruser, even before IE7 starts up!I will next try your remaining suggestion.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!What you should do is to, remove IE and let ZA recreate it. So, do not manually modify IE. ZA will ask about IE accessing to the net and you will need to allow and remember.Alternatively, you can go to program control and give IE "super trusted" level, + access to internet and trusted zone.Shutdown ZA, wait a couple of minutes, re-open ZA and see if the settings are remembered.If not, your ZA database is corrupted and you will need to reset it.Fax

overview Guest

I have tried your alternative method and it seems,so far, to have done the trick.But
    I am concerned about giving IE super status.
    Does it introduce security vulnerabillity?
    I had a look at the instructions for refreshing the ZA database which was your other suggestion.
    In step 3 it
    asks to &quot;delete all files that have the extensions
    .RDB
    .LDB
    or
    TMP&quot;

in the C:\windows\ Internet Logs directory.
    Is that a choice or

should it read

&quot;and TMP&quot;

files?

These are
    of the form XDB??.tmp and there are over 80 of them.My directory also contains
    athlon.ldb
    which is a Microsoft Access Record-Locking Info file!Can this one remain?The others are
    IAMDB.RDB and BACKUP.RDB which I believe belong to ZA.

Hi!having a lot of *.tmp files is an indication that your ZA database may be corrupted.You can remove those *.tmp and see if they will come back... if yes, better to refresh the ZA database.Refreshing your ZA database means also that pre-configured settings at install will be removed.---------So ideally whenever you have time, the best to have a fully functioning ZA is to do a clean uninstall and reinstall.To clean uninstall you need to follow this procedure:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlRun a registry/system cleaner. ccleaner is quite good utility (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloadpage.aspx?f=3) Re-download the installer from here (and do NOT use any download managers):http://www.zonelabs.com/zasuitedownload/ Install with default settings, do not alter them....Once rebooted manual update the antivirus/antispyware signature ('update now' under the antivirus/antispyware tab)After the update perform a full antivirus/antispyware scan.------------With a valid license you can upgarde free to the latest version. Please note that the new version 7 and its new virus engine by Kaspersky does NOT play nice with many security tools.If you want to upgrade better to remove all Antivirus/antispyware, System registry tools and security tools in general you have installed. Even if they are disabled they can still conflict with ZASS. You can install back only when you see that everything is working fine in ZASS.------------yes, IAMDB.RDB and BACKUP.RDB belongs to ZA.Don't know what is "athlon.ldb"Hope this helps.Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-15-2007 05:08 AM

taherte Guest

Over the weekend I installed the latest Windows updates and have been getting the same message ever since. I only use IE in rare instances though so the impact has been minimal.

Hi!just answer "allow" and "remember".. and your will not be bored anymore...Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-16-2007 07:33 AM

Thread Information