Thread: hardware firewall - Do I really need a software firewall? > YES

zecarioca Guest

Cool hardware firewall - Do I really need a software firewall? > YES

I have bought a hardware firewall from netgear (firewall and router). After I bought it I have noticed the hackers attacks diminished to zero. Is it really necessary another firewall as security stuff or Is it unnecessary and It's only my computer loss of space ? Is only windows firewall or another free one work nicely at all? Best Regards.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: hardware firewall - Do I really need a software firewall?

Hi!hardware firewall will only protect you from calls coming from the internet (inbound)... most software firewall will however protect you from unsolicited call from your PC to the internet (outbound protection).So, you definitively need a softwarefirewall like ZA or equivalent toolto control your outbound calls.Hope this helps.Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

naivemelody Guest

Guru Fax is correct. You can check out www.firewallguide.com
    for more info. on the matter -<hr>At a minimum, home computers need to have personal soft firewall, antivirus and anti-spyware software installed and kept up-to-date. A home network that uses a wired or wireless router with (hard)
    firewall features provides additional protection. <hr>The Differences and Features of Hardware &amp; Software Firewalls - from Webopedia - http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/...wall_types.asp
    .<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 5-26-07 - Learning to Fly - Pink Floyd

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 05-29-200712:29 AM

<blockquote><hr>ArrowPilot wrote:
    ball 1
    <hr></blockquote>

Strike one

zaswing Guest

To ArrowPilot
    Re: Some argue you don't need either
    Yeah, some are wrong. ZL doesn't control these forums, perhaps a little bit but are you trying to pick a fight or something? You're free to do so, I'm sure, but WHAT IS THE POINT? Is ZA failing you? Did you set it up correctly? Did you read the Help manual?

How about if you put your resources (if you have any) into helping other users instead?

zecarioca Guest

Here is a discussion forum. I think we might learn by discussion. The democracy theory!

&quot;Ignorance can be cured... stupidity is forever.&quot;

Best regards.
    oldsod

arrowpilot Guest

<blockquote><hr>Greb49er wrote:
    <blockquote><hr>ArrowPilot wrote:
    ball 1
    <hr></blockquote>

Strike one
    <hr></blockquote>
    Re: gre87y

Reported

watcher Guest

Dear zecarioca:

Besides what ArrowPilot stated, you have to sit down and put a dollar value on what the data on your computer is worth, both in time spent creating it and its value to someone else if stolen. Then decide on your budget for computer and information security. Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish. Even if you have no data on a computer, it is still valuable to the hacker who is looking for zombie machines for his botnet. That is a growing trend as there is lots of money to be made selling these botnets to the highest bidder.

Never rely on a single hardware device or software program to protect you. This becomes a single point of failure. Once it is breached the hacker has access to your computer.
    No hardware or software, even in combination, can guarantee the security of your computer or the data it contains. Yet, you should want to make it extremely difficult for the hacker to gain access. If you've ever had to clean spyware off a computer, you'll realize that prevention is far easier than removing it once it has installed on your computer. Viruses can cause problems so bad that you need to reformat and reinstall the O/S and all applications. Think of the time lost doing that. The list goes on and on.

The most important issue is to perform regular backups of your data and store both onsite and offsite. Just about everything else can be replaced(albeit at cost) but some data can be irreplaceable.

WATCHER

naivemelody Guest

WATCHER, a nice common sense philosophical approach. If you can give us a nice religious approach, well then, you are holier than thou. NaiveMelody NYC 5-28-07~4:19pm e.s.t. - One of us - Joan Osborne

Thread Information