Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my ports are not stealthed when i do a test on shields up

buachille Guest

Default Re: my ports are not stealthed when i do a test on shields up

yes this is a nat router <a target="_blank" href="http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=all&amp;sort=effdt&amp;sku=3CR WDR100A-72&amp;order=desc">3Com
    OfficeConnect
    ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router 3CRWDR100A-72</a>

before i do the za test i am disabling the firewall router and setting the computer i am testing to a dmz. would this not mean that all nat was switched off for that machine?

and even if nat was on would this interfere with za?

NAT is a sort of mini firewall... this is why you see all ports closed... all calls are translated/redirected into internal IPs in theLAN.See here for an explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network...ss_translationThere should be an option to switch OFF NAT. So, your are still testing the router and not ZA.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 06-10-2007 05:27 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

buachille Guest

quoted from fax

Hi!
    still looks like your router is doing NAT on your connection.... otherwise you should not see all ports closed... and if ZA is not working you should also see open ports (here and there).

================================================== =============================

so are you saying that if i had a direct connection to the net (no router / nat just a straight connection into a modem) and za was working properly, then i would not see all closed ports i.e some of them would be open? i would have thought i would have seen all ports stealthed.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>buachille wrote:
    so are you saying that if i had a direct connection to the net (no router / nat just a straight connection into a modem) and za was working properly, then i would not see all closed ports i.e some of them would be open? i would have thought i would have seen all ports stealthed.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Without the NAT in between you will see all ports stealthed (by ZA withdefault settings and network on 'Internet')... with NAT you see all ports closed... Fax

buachille Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:

Without the NAT in between you will see all ports stealthed (by ZA with default settings and network on 'Internet')... with NAT you see all ports closed...
    Fax
    <hr></blockquote>

right i disabled nat on my router (i forgot i had that setting in there), but i can't get online once i do that, so there is no way for me to fully test za.

but now that you have explained to me that the router was still being tested instead of za the mist has cleared a bit and i understand what is going on, and i expect za will be working away fine behine the nat firewall.

thank you very much for you time on this. i appreciate it.

cheers

You're welcome!!Fax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information