Thread: Am I secure on WIFI hot spot?

mdonnall Guest

Default Am I secure on WIFI hot spot?

Windows Vista Prem. on a new laptop (HP dv6000) using ZA internet security 7.1.078.000

While using my works wifi - and doing a port scan from GRC - Ports 22, 53, and 443 are open. I know from reading some of the posts that hotspots leave ports open for various reasons, but are MY PORTS open as well/ is ZA protecting me despite not being able to see the ports as "stealthed/closed"? Am I safe is the big question....?????

Thanks

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

forum_moderator Guest

Default Re: Am I secure on WIFI hot spot?

What I would really be worried about is the data that being transfered on an unsecured wifi connection.

I personlly use a secure tunnel connection for all my unsecured wifihttp traffic. There are many solutions on the market for this.

What I personally use and this is a personal preferance and this is NOT a recomendation fromZoneAlarm, I use MegaProxy. Its cheap and no software to installed. http://www.megaproxy.com/

As far as ZA is concerned be sure you have your netowork adapter set to the Internet Zone and not the trusted Zone.

As far as the ports being opened here is what GRC had to say about them.
    Port 53
    "DNS" is the glue that translates human-readable domain and machine names like "grc.com" or "amazon.com" into their machine-readable Internet Protocol (IP) address equivalents. DNS servers listen on port 53 for queries from DNS clients. Incoming UDP packets carry queries which expect a short reply, and TCP connections carrying queries requiring longer and more complete replies.
    If our port analysis reveals that your system's port 53 is open and listening for incoming traffic, you should determine what's going on. Even though only a few Trojan programs are known to open port 53, the exact behavior of malicious software is a constantly moving target . . . which is why periodic security checkups here are always worthwhile.
    ----------------------
    Port 443
    This port is used for secure web browser communication. Data transferred across such connections are highly resistant to eavesdropping and interception. Moreover, the identity of the remotely connected server can be verified with significant confidence. Web servers offering to accept and establish secure connections listen on this port for connections from web browsers desiring strong communication security.

Once established, web browsers inform their users of these secured connections by displaying an icon a padlock, an unbroken key, etc. in the status region of their window.
    ------------
    Port 22
    Purpose:
    SSH Remote Login Protocol
    Trojan Sightings: Adore sshd, Shaft

GRC did have much on Port 22. Just 2 known trojans that use it. But there can be plenty of other programs that use this port also.

Forum Moderator

Message Edited by Forum-Moderator on 09-12-2007 11:33 PM

Thread Information