Thread: Zone Alarm - a serious problem has occurred!

sms_in_nc Guest

Default Zone Alarm - a serious problem has occurred!

The other morning I got on my computer to do some internet research for a project. I have broadband, and usually keep it on. I was met with an error msg that said a serious problem had occurred with Zone Alarm and did I want to notify MS. I did, and also noticed the security icon in the notification area was red. When I passed the cursor over it, it said the firewall wasn't working. I clicked on the icon to turn it on, and as I was under a deadline, went on with my research. Later that day, after turning the project in, I started thinking over the glitch. I have no idea when the "serious problem" occurred, and how long I may have been without a firewall - or even whether I did or didn't have a functioning firewall. With all the hoopla about it only taking a few minutes for an attacker to get into someone's unprotected computer, I'm pretty much sure that if there was no functioning firewall, I have a compromised computer. However, I have seen no evidence of someone else being there (no slowdowns, pop-ups, etc). However, I am not computer savvy, and don't know all the places to look or what I should be looking for. I did check the ZA logs, and there is a gap where the log entries end about 6pm the night before and then pick up again when I jumped on the computer the next AM. I'd appreciate an assessment of whether the firewall was down and I was open to the internet, and if I was, what I can do to check on the presence of someone else on my computer.

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Zone Alarm - a serious problem has occurred!

The Event Viewer found in the Administrative Tools should have some information about this event.
    If you have a SPI/NAT type router in front of the PC, then it's hardware firewall still protecting you PC from hacker attempts.
    The issue could be a windows probelm or a conflict with other security applications or maybe even a ZA problem.
    You could contact Technical Support (free by email) for help.

Open the WINDOWS\Internet Logs and see if there any tvdebug files or zips. If you contact the Technical Support, they may will need these for perusal. If not, then do this to give the ZA a "fix":

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder. [But also delete any zips or backups files.]

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

(How to get into the safe mode)

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information