Thread: Blocked Intrusions zero

consider Guest

Default Blocked Intrusions zero

I renewed my subscription two days ago and, since i had just setup a LAN, I opted for the multiple computer option. Both my home computers are now running ZA 7.0.462.000, with XP Home on one and XP Pro on the other on a home network.

Since updating and registering, I have noticed that both ZA's are showing zero blocked intrusions since then. I don't believe this is normal.

Is there some way I confirm this function is working correctly?

Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: Blocked Intrusions zero

I assume you are using a router since you say you have set up a LAN. Please check the specifications of the router? Does it include NAT? That is a firewall often built into routers. It will block intrusions so that ZA never sees them. Hence a count of 0 is normal behind a modem or router which has NAT.

consider Guest

<blockquote><hr>jdoliver wrote:
    I assume you are using a router since you say you have set up a LAN. Please check the specifications of the router? Does it include NAT? That is a firewall often built into routers. It will block intrusions so that ZA never sees them. Hence a count of 0 is normal behind a modem or router which has NAT.
    <hr></blockquote>

Thank you very much for the quick explanation. I didn't know about NAT since it was initiated by default in my Netgear router, so it is working.

What about the ZA &quot;inbound Protection&quot; number? On my original computer from before I set up the LAN, I'm reading 101,608 access attempts. Should it also remain unchanged with NAT,too, or is this a different parameter?

If it is to remain unchanged when NAT is working, can I reset it to zero somehow, so it will be obvious that NAT is not working?

Thank you!

<blockquote><hr>consider wrote:
    <blockquote><hr>jdoliver wrote:
    <hr></blockquote>

Thank you very much for the quick explanation. I didn't know about NAT since it was initiated by default in my Netgear router, so it is working.

What about the ZA "inbound Protection" number? On my original computer from before I set up the LAN, I'm reading 101,608 access attempts. Should it also remain unchanged with NAT,too, or is this a different parameter?

If it is to remain unchanged when NAT is working, can I reset it to zero somehow, so it will be obvious that NAT is not working?

Thank you!
    <hr></blockquote>

The previous network setup had the original PC working with the IP that was assigned by your internet provider. This meant the internet connected directly to your PC. Once the router was placed and it's NAT (network address translation) is used, the PC no longer uses that IP assigned from your provider. Instead it is the router that uses the IP that is assigned by your provider.
    The PC now uses an IP that is assigned by the router.
    The IP assigned by the router to the PC are always a "private network IP". These IPs are not the same as the public IP assigned by your provider. The "private network IPs" are just - private and these can not be connected by incoming connections from the internet, Hence this is the reason why the intrusion count has stopped appearing or increasing.

To reset the intrusion count, open the ZA and look at the intrusions listed. Then look at the bottom of the ZA pane and select the reset.

Cheers, Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-14-2007 04:06 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

martytx Guest

consider wrote:
    If it is to remain unchanged when NAT is working, can I reset it to zero somehow, so it will be obvious that NAT is not working?----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you asking about the Blocked Intrusions on the Overview screen?
    That's where ZA-AV shows the total count of Blocked Intrusions (and how many have been high-rated) and the total count of Inbound Protection.

These numbers can be easily reset to zero by modifying the system registry.
    Don't know if you're at all familiar with modifying the registry or not.
    You can
    get in trouble if you're not careful.
    Respond if you want to proceed
    and I'll lead you to the values you need to change.

Note:
    I
    have ZA-AV, not ZA Internet Security Suite.
    Also, I have XP Home, not XP Pro.
    So, this may or may not work for you.
    If the values are not where I indicated, do NOT proceed.

Marty

consider Guest

I appreciate your helpful response. I've gotten some guidance understanding my LAN router and its NAT function, and have been able to reset the ZA meters,also with some additional help. So I'm OK!

This has been a pleasant experience, finding some generous souls with expertise in these area, willing to share it with a newbie.

Thanks all!

martytx Guest

consider,
    Glad you're squared away.
    Happy Holidays ...
    Marty

Thread Information