Thread: Am I protected against inbound intrusions?

whitemonk Guest

Default Am I protected against inbound intrusions?

Since recently updating to Security Suite version 7.0.462.000 I have noticed from the Overview screen that no intrusions have been blocked since install, and no access attempts blocked in the inbound protection section. Does this mean that the firewall is not operating correctly?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: Am I protected against inbound intrusions?

Dear WhiteMonk:

Does the Alerts and Logs panel, Log Viewer tab, show blocked connection attempts? If it does, then your firewall is working but, for whatever reason, they are not being tallied on the Overview panel, Status tab. You will probably need to do a database reset to resolve this. First, though, try this. In the Overview panel, Status tab, click the Reset to Default link at the middle of the bottom of the screen. You may have to close ZAISS and then reopen it for this to work.

Please post back your results.

WATCHER

whitemonk Guest

Dear WATCHER:
    Thank you for your assistance.Your suggestion to "Reset to Default" was successful. My Overview Panel now shows 47 blocked intrusions and 34 inbound protection access attempts since 17/12/07.I was surprised to note that the 47 blocked intrusions now listed in the Firewall Log are all from the same destination, namely the address of my ISP?I have viewed the Logs for all other Alert Types but cannot find anything relating to the 34 inbound protection access attempts - perhaps these attempts are just blocked but not recorded?
    WhiteMonk.

abbey Guest

Hi,
    Sorry to bother you, but since updating, I am having the same problem with ZA Free Edition - Lists program attempts, but nothing shows when I change from programs to Firewall atempts.
    I tried resetting to defaults, as suggested, but this did not work for me.
    I am not very tech savvy and am quite concerned!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, - Thankyou.

watcher Guest

Dear WhiteMonk:

You're welcome. The number of blocked intrusions that I have are 29,405. The number listed in Inbound Protection is 23,138. I don't know how accurate these numbers are. I use ZAPRO. By default, and ZAISS is probably the same, it archives the log every 24 hours. I wouldn't concern myself with the numbers. I would be more concerned about who is trying to connect to my PC and on what port.

In Alerts and Logs panel, Log Viewer tab, with Alert Type= Firewall, the Source IP column lists what entities are trying to connect to your PC. The Destination IP column lists your IP address at the time, followed after a colon with the port number the source was trying to connect to.
    The port will usually identify what service they were trying to connect to which, in turn, will tell you what program or operating system feature they were trying to get to.

By default, ZAPRO, and probably ZAISS, log blocked events.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

watcher Guest

Dear abbey:

You could try a database reset. Open ZAfree, navigate to Overview panel, Preferences tab, and in the General section uncheck load at startup.

Reboot into Safe Mode. Open Windows Explorer or another file manager, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs. Delete all resident files with these extensions: .RDB, .ldb, and .tmp. If you deleted these to the Recycle Bin, empty that now. This will reset the ZA configuration database removing all your custom settings. Reboot back into Normal mode. Open ZAfree and it will have its default settings as it was when you first installed it.

Navigate back to Overview panel, Preferences tab, and put back the checkmark for it to load at startup.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

abbey Guest

Hi,
    Since my original post, I did a clean reinstall, that did not fix the problem.
    Then I received your post, followed your instructions and now all is ok.
    Thank you very much for your response and your
    assistance - Much appreciated!
    Cheers

Default Re: Am I protected against inbound intrusions? CLARIFICATION

Hopefully this post will clear up some confusion about what INTRUSIONS are (or more correctly, aren't!).

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=18688#M18688

Thread Information