Thread: Which port to connect?

e_net_rider Guest

Default Which port to connect?

I have been using ZAP since 5, 5.5, and 6 as part of CA Suite. They no longer use ZA for firewall and do not support WME.So I decided to give one from ZA site a try again.
    What concerns me is the changing of the IP for the internet at random.I also use a router with hardware firewall and have it set for maximum security, not using the oem IP's.
    This random ZA reconfiguring of IP is confusing, but never more than recently when I installed 6.1.744.1. During its full stage the IP it detected and used ended in 0. My custom IP is .222 for the router and numbers higher for machines on internal network. My best guess is that ZA somehow got the IP of the front end of the router, the IP the MODEM sees. And when other versions were being used, it often chose the IP of the router, not the network card.
    So what gives? What would be correct?
    Of note is that when it expired and reverted to free version it chose another IP and this time it is the IP of the network card. That seems correct to me, but not certain.
    Hardware logged an attempt by DOD last fall. I'd guess they could get past anything if they really want to, but want to make it difficult.To get stealthy, I've forwarded port 113 to nowhere, because of rules governing that port, in the hardware router. Software routers supposedly have no problem with that if set up properly, but because of the rules a hardware router will generate a return.
    Norman

Operating System:Windows ME
    Software Version:6.1
    Product Name:

e_net_rider Guest

Default Re: Which port to connect?

Not reply, but additional info.Winipcfg now shows the DHCP server IP as that of output of router. And logging into router, it shows the actual DHCP IP of my ISP.That sounds stealthier to me than winipcfg showing me the DHCP IP of ISP.
    I would like to know if current configuration is best and if anybody sees a problem with this information and that in original post.Thanks,Norman

Random changes of the assigned IP is normal for many users. Especially for DSL (happens sooner) and for cable subscribers.
    Proper router settings should corredly handle the changes of the assigned IP.

Yes, the ZA free will use the hardware adapter and the IP of the DHCP server (in your case the router). This is normal for the ZA free.

DoD is the same as any other server- it does the occassional checking and the router dropped the connection attempt. Or maybe something got bounced off one of their servers. (Yes the great powers that be could crack the router in mere minutes, if they were inclined to do so).

Forwarding the port 113 (ident) is not needed - just close the port. All ports of the royter should be stealthed, unless there are opened ports.
    The port 113 is often used with P2P and VPN.
    Just make sure to disable the reply to ping (if not using VPN or P2P) and disable the UPnP (if not using networked devices or certain IMs) and change the default password/user name to help secure the router.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Using either the DHCP of the provider or the router has no relationship with stealth.
    The windows's svchost.exe and a few other windows components are the only applications involved with the specific DHCP IP and none other.
    Any other unwanted internet IP will not be accepted and they will be blocked or dropped by the ZA - the ports will be fully closed to these unwanted internet IPs. The ports involved will be seen as fully stealthed at the same time by the ZA.

Using the DHCP of the router for the ZA is usually the correct setting, if the NAT is enabled in the router.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

e_net_rider Guest

I believe there was information concerning this port at GRC site. When using a router with firewall, it sees it before it gets to ZA, and handles it according to those rules. If not using a router with firewall, ZA will handle it appropriately in all cases, but with the router and firewall special attention needs to be done. I think there was special information that doing such could interfere with certain connections, but I've had no trouble that I've noticed.

Some routers leave port 113 open in it's default settings. Port 113 is used by VPN and some P2P and some other networking aspects. If not using these, just close the port 113 or also known as IDENT or disable the VPN aspects of the router. The following port scan will show it as closed. Forwarding the port to a non existant address is not neccessary either - any connections coming through are specifc only to this port and no other. If there is no P2P or VPN used on the PC, the software firewall would automatically drop any inbound and so would the operating system.

Open your router and just close the port. Simple and easy enough.

Leaving ports such as 113 open in the router is not neccessarily a bad thing, but the open port does offer itself to increased number of scans and is actually offering other internet servers to try to make new connections. So it induces or invites more traffic and increases the traffic above what is usually experienced. Every one of these connection attempt is getting dropped, so it is not a real security risk, but it is not neccessary to have it in the first place.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 01-30-2008 06:48 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

e_net_rider Guest

There is info at this sitehttp://www.grc.com/port_113.htmAt the bottom is what appears to be bad stuff that takes advantage of the port.

And? Just close the port in your router or your NAT modem and it will be stealthed and closed. Not an issue or so hard to do?
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information