Thread: Question about using free unsecure wifi at the library

bloomcounty Guest

Default Question about using free unsecure wifi at the library

Hi,

I've started using the free unsecure wifi at my local library with my laptop. I have Windows XP SP2, ZA 6.5.737, AVG A/V Free, and AVG Antispyware Free (though the 30-day trial for the real-time part of that is expired, so it's only a scanner now).

When I connect to the free wifi at the library, I get a listing in the Firewall > Zones tab for the connection, and it is listed as "Zone: Internet" -- and I have the Internet Zone set to "High Security". (The "Trusted Zone" is set to "Medium Security" and I have the loopback adapter (127.0.0.1) and the two DNS addresses for my Earthlink dial-up (which I use at home) in "Zone: Trusted".)

Is there anything else I need to be doing in ZA (or anything else) to make sure I'm secure when using the free wifi? I notice that I never get any entries for stuff getting blocked in the "Firewall Log" when I use the free wifi, but when I use dial-up at home, I get a number of blocked listings. Why is nothing getting blocked with the wifi? Because there's nothing *too* block?

Any help is appreciated. Just want to make sure I'm secure and have the right settings (though I don't want to start adding in specific IP ranges or anything if I don't really need to).

Thanks!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Question about using free unsecure wifi at the library

How about a look at this/ click here >
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4326-11335_7-6569353.html a photo slide show of &quot;How to secure your wireless laptop.&quot; There are various articles in cnet.com, pcmag.com, pcworld.com, etc. on securing a wireless laptop - just search yourself.<hr>This is about as far as I can go; I don't have a laptop myself - so can't say anything more about it. I guess the best tip - don't do any serious 'financial transactions/ banks/ and other important transactions with credit card info./ birthdates/ social security numbers, etc. - do these on your home pc.<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 2-2-08 - Our Lips Are Sealed - The Go Go's

bloomcounty Guest

Default Re: Question about using free unsecure wifi at the library

I looked at that link and made sure of all those things (I think they were all in place already). Thanks for the post!

Thread Information